Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Failure of function keys to control screen brightness

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,999 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 21 September 2017 - 06:24 PM

I've had a strange problem recently, my laptop has function keys which let me control the brightness of the screen,and these also double as my f1 through to f12 keys. I know I know there is a setting in the BIOS to let me choose if I want to have "normally an f1-12 key, hold down extra function key to access special functions" or "normally special function, hold down extra function key to access f1 through to f12".

The last time I successfully changed the brightness I was in linux mint reading a bright white pdf document late in the evening, and I lowered the brightness. When I did this I held the "fn" extra function key and used "f2" and "f3" while a little icon showed on the screen with a bar I could adjust left-right and the brightness varied. I shut down, took out the mint USB and thought nothing of it. I'm not sure whether I had ever adjusted the screen brightness before while in linux before that time.

A few days later I was in windows watching a DVD and wanted to brighten up the picture, but using the function keys didn't work, couldn't get the screen brightness to change.

I have been to the BIOS and switched from what I had before normally special function, hold down extra function key to access f1 through to f12" to the opposite option, and I'm in linux right now and it doesn't seem to be working whichever way I try to use the keys.

Any thoughts on what I might have to do to return things to their previous state? Or whether within windows 8.1 and linux mint there are other ways to change the screen brightness without relying on the special function built into what are otherwise the f2 and f3 keys.
Thanks

P.S. I'll probably be booted into windows the next time I visit this forum

Edited by rp88, 21 September 2017 - 06:33 PM.
Best fit I can find is "Internal Hardware" though firmware is involved, too.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,622 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 21 September 2017 - 06:36 PM

It can be done within control panel. Not sure about Mint. Edit: What flavor or Mint? Mate or Cinnamon?

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2082965/adjust-screen-brightness-windows-windows.html

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 September 2017 - 06:38 PM.

#3 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,999 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 21 September 2017 - 06:41 PM

JohnC_21, thanks for such a quick reply. I only said that bit about being booted into windows next time because I didn't expect to see anything until tomorrow.

Odd place to bury it, within power options, but I'll give it a go tomorrow.

My Mint is MATE 17.3

Edited by rp88, 21 September 2017 - 06:42 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,622 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 AM

Posted 21 September 2017 - 06:51 PM

For the Mate issue I would consult the Linux Forum. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users