Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer randomly freezes, then most fonts are gone

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 WindDT

WindDT

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 21 September 2017 - 06:19 PM

My Lenovo Ideapad running Windows 10 randomly freezes for 5-10min, then after the freeze, most of my installed fonts are gone (clicking a font in font folder throws an error), and my Explorer (as well as most other programs or context menus) end up with no text. Also, hovering over text in desktop would turn the text blurry.

During the freeze, task manager would register 100% disk usage but 0kbps r/w speed.

Sometimes, after a while (like half an hour), the problem would fix itself and I would see text in Explorer and context menus/windows again. However, the fonts themselves are still missing both in the fonts folder, as well as in apps like Word (I'd only get like 3-4 fonts in the font dropdown).

Missing fonts in font folder:

F3Ww2Wh.png?1

Blurry text on desktop:

AvPJhKo.png

Missing text in Explorer:

fiWUrKo.png

• Qc8O7BF.png

Missing fonts in Word:

zwCyMXq.png

Already tried:

• Restart laptop. This fixes the issue but if the computer freezes again, issue is guaranteed to be back
  • SFC /scannow - no errors
  • Updating drivers - graphics drivers are all up to date including Intel HD/Nvidia according to Intel diagnostics tool and Nvidia website. Not sure if there are other drivers I should check
  • No viruses according to Windows Defender. Don't have any other antivirus installed, such as the "Comodo antivirus" mentioned by some other users
  • CPU/HD temperatures appear to be normal according to SpeedFan app before/during/after the freezes

This only started happening after Creators Update, though I'm not sure if there's any direct correlation.

Does anyone have an idea what might be causing this?

Edited by WindDT, 21 September 2017 - 06:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 21 September 2017 - 07:27 PM

Hi, there were some users who experienced problems after creators update. Go to control panel "Fonts" select "font settings" first try the "reset default font settings" If this fails uncheck hide fonts based on language and check allow fonts to be installed as shortcuts. Let us know how you get on.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users