Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GPU not detected by BIOS or Device Manager

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mcshinigami

Mcshinigami

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 21 September 2017 - 02:30 PM

My friend just upgraded his computer and gave me his old case, motherboard, and CPU. I had a running computer already, but the processor was a nice upgrade for me so I have swapped all my old parts into the new computer. Since doing so, my GPU is not detected by the BIOS or Device Manager.

I updated the BIOS. I bought a new power supply. Bought a new SSD and put a fresh copy of Windows 10 on it. I am currently only using just that drive until I can get this to work.

We tested to see if the pci-e slot worked by putting his old AMD R9 into it. It displayed and was detected normally. So the slot is ok.

I rebuilt my old computer and used my Nvidia GTX 970 in it. It works and displays just fine. So my card is fine.

I used CCCleaner and DDU.

I've reset the CMOS multiple times, reset the BIOS multiple times, attempted booting with integrated graphics turned off. That being off only makes the computer beep, noting that there's no display.

I've checked all my connections multiple times, no damage, nothing unplugged or not seated well, and I know my monitor and HDMI cable is in working condition.

So far all I've been able to do is boot the computer using the integrated graphics.

Specs:

Motherboard: Intel DH67CL
Processor: Intel i7 2600k
PSU: EVGA GQ 750w
GPU: Nvidia EVGA GTX 970
SSD: SanDisk 240gb
RAM: 16gb Cosair Vengence

The PC I've upgraded from had a ASUS motherboard and a AMD FX-6300. 550w Antec PSU.

Im running out of ideas after 3 days of struggling with this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 21 September 2017 - 03:21 PM

what version of windows 10 is it? nvidia drivers will give an error like "gpu not detected" or "this version of windows is not compatible" if windows 10 is an older release.  pre 1607.

i had this issue only to find out I needed to take a windows update to fix the problem,  i had been avoiding the creators update with a passion.  but that's what it took

before nvidia would recognize the gpu id.

Edited by mightywiz, 21 September 2017 - 03:22 PM.

#3 Mcshinigami

Mcshinigami
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2017 - 03:25 PM

As of now I can't even install the Nvidia drivers due to the fact the bios isn't even reading the card installed. When I go to install the drivers it states that there is no detected Nvidia hardware and stops the installation

#4 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 21 September 2017 - 04:01 PM

ok and I said i had an issue with gpu not detected because it needed an update.  is your windows updated to current? 1703 i think....

Edited by mightywiz, 21 September 2017 - 04:08 PM.

#5 Mcshinigami

Mcshinigami
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2017 - 04:18 PM

Im installing the creator update right now and I'll see where that gets me.

#6 Mcshinigami

Mcshinigami
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2017 - 05:28 PM

Updated to 1703. Ran Nvidia drivers and still got the error "The graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware", yet again :( Bummer

#7 Mcshinigami

Mcshinigami
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2017 - 09:10 PM

Bought a new (used) motherboard on Ebay today. Should be here on Wednesday. Worth a shot I suppose. If anything it has a USB 3.0 header and more accessible SATA ports.   ASRock Z77 Extreme 4

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users