Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building my first NAS, need some help choosing right switch

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bashitmashitcrashit

bashitmashitcrashit

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 21 September 2017 - 11:13 AM

Hi guys, so I was thinking of using my old htpc as NAS with three sata2 hdd's in raid5. I will connect all my computers with switch, I was wondering if 10/100 switch is enough or will I notice much better performance with 10/100/1000 switch? Any other tips about building NAS will be also appreciated. Thanks. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 21 September 2017 - 11:54 AM

How many users do you intend your NAS to support? Also how many computers attached to the switch?

Edited by arlattimor, 21 September 2017 - 11:56 AM.

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

Network Security Engineer

#3 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 21 September 2017 - 12:00 PM

If this is a small network the market has Unmanaged Gigabit Workgroup Switches that come in 5, 8, and 16 port configurations.You can get them mostly for under $50.00 bones just look around big guy.

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

Network Security Engineer

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 21 September 2017 - 12:02 PM

don't bother with a 10/100 switch when 10/100/1000 are cheap and available. future proof

#5 bashitmashitcrashit

bashitmashitcrashit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2017 - 01:51 PM

There's going to be just a few users. 3-7 computers attached to the switch. Yes I know you can get gigabit switches cheaply but still wanted to find out if the raid5 write and read speeds with sata2 drives are slower then 10/100 connection to another computer. Is the 10/100 going to be the bottleneck when saving files to NAS via switch or are the drives so slow that it really doesn't matter...

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 21 September 2017 - 02:20 PM

The first question would be does your HTPC have a GB NIC?  If not, this whole discussion is pointless.

From, "SATA II (revision 2.x) interface, formally known as SATA 3Gb/s, is a second generation SATA interface running at 3.0 Gb/s. The bandwidth throughput, which is supported by the interface, is up to 300MB/s"

So, even if your drives took a 50% performance hit in RAID5 they would still be faster than the speed supported by your current switch.  While the drives will be the bottleneck if you use a GB switch you will see a noticeable performance increase over the 10/100 switch when performing actions with large amounts data.

#7 bashitmashitcrashit

bashitmashitcrashit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2017 - 02:35 PM

yes my HTPC has GB NIC. And I'm aware of sata2 speeds, but I'm not sure what the performance will be in raid5. I think in raid5 the raid controller will have more important role with the perfiormance then with raid1 or raid0.

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 21 September 2017 - 03:10 PM

Even if your drives went to 150MB/s due to RAID 5 the drives would still be faster than your network connection using the 10/100 switch.  Here is a RAID Calculator it looks like RAID 5 will give you a little over 300MB/s.

#9 bashitmashitcrashit

bashitmashitcrashit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2017 - 04:12 PM

Thanks for the help. that's all I wanted to know. 

#10 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 22 September 2017 - 01:49 PM

Even if your drives went to 150MB/s due to RAID 5 the drives would still be faster than your network connection using the 10/100 switch.  Here is a RAID Calculator it looks like RAID 5 will give you a little over 300MB/s.

100Mbit network speed gives you around 12MB/s in transfer speed

1Gbit network maxes out at 110MB/s

Go with Gigabit :)

tfn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users