Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to D.O.D wipe a printer HDD?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 pistol22cal

pistol22cal

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:39 AM

toshiba estudio 206L 

I need to do a dod wipe of the hdd 

Anyone have any insight into this as well as reinstalling the firmware?

I found this after some google searching

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/949802/Toshiba-E-Studio2820c.html?page=423

I like to think I am more than qualified to do this but damn thats a big ass manual! 

Edited by pistol22cal, 21 September 2017 - 10:12 AM.

I Love Lamp!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:18 AM

Why not just reinstall the OS and use a tool (such as CCleaner) that allows a multi-pass overwrite wipe of all free space on the disk?

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 pistol22cal

pistol22cal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:21 AM

Apperently you have to have a special USB drive from toshiba to do this the right way. Removing the HHD and doing a DOD format is very possible but it leaves the printer unusable. 

I Love Lamp!

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,651 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2017 - 11:09 AM

I am still trying to figure out why you don't want to use any number of drive eraser programs that conform to DOD standards (depending on which one, precisely, you're going for):

KillDisk

CCleaner (wipe free space utility)

or any number of DOD approved disk eraser programs (see:  https://duckduckgo.com/?q=%22Privacy+Fence%22+DOD+disc+eraser&t=h_&atb=v33-7__&ia=web)

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 pistol22cal

pistol22cal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2017 - 11:13 AM

Not, what i am after. I am very capable of formating and confirming the DOD wipe....IF the hdd is removed from the printer.

HOWEVER, there has to be a way to do it from the printer service menu. 

The problem is it looks like you have to have a special usb with special tools only available to toshiba service techs to reinstall the firmware after a wipe.

So, the problem is a wipe would leave the printer unusable without the service tech usb from toshiba, unless there is some work around.

Also note, this is not a laptop its a printer and large office printer at that. 

Edited by pistol22cal, 21 September 2017 - 11:15 AM.

I Love Lamp!

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,298 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2017 - 11:49 AM

I believe you are correct in posting a Toshiba tech with special hardware is needed to reinstall firmware. I can't remember the site but one poster said Toshiba would charge $200 for a wipe and firmware reinstall.

Edit: The link.

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 September 2017 - 11:52 AM.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,651 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2017 - 12:03 PM

It's been a very long time since I was last involved in doing DoD work, but I do not recall having to reformat the "non-user data" areas of drives that were to be reused.

That's why I asked the question.  In a printer drive wiping the area where the actual data cache for printing was stored would likely be enough.  I would definitely check with the requesting entity to see if that is enough.

If you absolutely must wipe everything, including the firmware, then that's a different story, but be certain that you do.  You may even be able to get away with reflashing the firmware and wiping the data cache area, but even that may be more than is needed.

There are differing levels of DoD wiping.

#8 pistol22cal

pistol22cal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2017 - 01:34 AM

I believe you are correct in posting a Toshiba tech with special hardware is needed to reinstall firmware. I can't remember the site but one poster said Toshiba would charge $200 for a wipe and firmware reinstall.

Edit: The link.

I can confirm this is 100% true. The firmware is available on ebay on a flashdrive already for $85 but do I trust that......hell no. I told the people to call and get a toshiba certified tech, so they did. Just you run into some interesting things in the tech field from time to time. I learned a lot from being asked to wipe a printer hard drive, more than I thought I would. I know I never want to work on printers, ever.

I Love Lamp!

#9 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:29 AM

Why not just reinstall the OS and use a tool (such as CCleaner) that allows a multi-pass overwrite wipe of all free space on the disk?

Might not want to recommend CCleaner for a bit.

CCleaner malware outbreak is much worse than it first appeared

#10 pistol22cal

pistol22cal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:31 AM

CCleaner, love that software but yeah after the hack was exposed. I cant recommend it to anyone for a few versions. The say the latest version is clean though.

I Love Lamp!

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,298 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:45 AM

I like the tools in CCleaner. I've used Bleachbit on linux which has a Windows version. Lately been using Privazer without issues. 

#12 pistol22cal

pistol22cal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:48 AM

I like the tools in CCleaner. I've used Bleachbit on linux which has a Windows version. Lately been using Privazer without issues. 

I have not heard of privazer 

I Love Lamp!

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,298 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:59 AM

https://privazer.com/

Does a very good job of removing traces.

#14 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,651 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:01 PM

Well, I'm keeping my eye on the unfolding CCleaner story.

It won't stop me from recommending the product, though, but with the proviso to be sure you are not using a version that was identified as having the backdoor infection.

No one is immune to hacks anymore, sadly.   No matter how fast you run it's never enough to keep consistently ahead of the next nefarious hacker.  You may overtake them for a while at any point in time, but invariably they'll occasionally overtake you (for the generic you).

It appears that they've just released v 5.35.   I already had 5.34, and had skipped 5.33 (which was just the luck of timing).

Edited by britechguy, 22 September 2017 - 12:12 PM.
Note on today's update to 5.35

#15 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 26 September 2017 - 08:48 PM

Are folks missing that he is referring to clearing storage from within/(internal to) a printer?

I see lots of answers that seem to miss a few important facts....

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users