Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I run avast (up to date) and CCleaner (very old version), might I be infected

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:40 AM

I run avast which I keep up to date, and I also have CCleaner, but my CCleaner product is old (v4.18.4844). As CCleaner is something I don't use while I'm online I never saw the need to update it. I just use it as an offline temp file cleaner and run it every few weeks or so.

Now there have been headlines about a virus contained within CCleaner (https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/09/18/tainted_ccleaner_downloads/), but that seems to be only in recent versions released since after avast took over piriform.

I don't think therefore that the virus should have affected me, UNLESS avast has been bundling CCleaner within it's free antivirus product and has been updating my copy of CCleaner. I run avast with only the critical components (shields and scanners), I don't have the "software updater" , "browser cleanup", "safe price" or performance stuff.

I would therefore think that this virus in modern CCleaner versions shouldn't affect me, can anyone confirm if my reasoning is correct?
Thanks

Edited by hamluis, 21 September 2017 - 09:36 AM.
Moved from Gen Security to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:42 AM

It wasn't a virus but a backdoor to load malware. If you have the older version you are not affected but you still should update to the latest version for the improvements.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,263 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2017 - 03:26 PM

CCleaner v5.35.6210 released 09/21/17

CCleaner v5.33 backdoor discussion topic here.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 21 September 2017 - 06:37 PM

So as my version was so old it wouldn't have had the backdoor, and the fact I run avast as my antivirus wouldn't have affected this? As for updating CCleaner, since I only use it offline for things like tempfile cleaning is there any reason specifically to update it to the latest version (the one made after the backdoor was cleaned up).
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,263 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2017 - 07:30 PM

To benifit from the improvements and fixes (including those for various browsers) noted in the CCleaner Version History/ChangeLog.

#6 Carpentry

Carpentry

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 28 September 2017 - 02:21 PM

From what I understand the Trojan ID's the entire systems software and hardware. What is the worst that can come of this?

For those of us that have been shopping around for a new laptop, is this a good time to do that, or is that being too paranoid

Edited by Carpentry, 28 September 2017 - 03:14 PM.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,263 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2017 - 04:23 PM

Security Notification for CCleaner v5.33.6162 and CCleaner Cloud v1.07.3191 for 32-bit Windows users
Short summary of the CCleaner incident

...updating CCleaner to the most recent recent versions fixes any issues, as "the only malware to remove is the one embedded in the CCleaner binary itself."..."The affected software (CCleaner v5.33.6162 and CCleaner Cloud v1.07.3191) has been installed on 2.27M machines from its inception up until now,"..."We believe that these users are safe now as our investigation indicates we were able to disarm the threat before it was able to do any harm." "There is no indication or evidence that any additional "malware" has been delivered through the backdoor,"...

CCleaner Compromised to Distribute Malware for Almost a Month

There is an ongoing discussion in this CCleaner issue topic where you can read more information.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users