Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

testdisk problem - raw - windows 7

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dmtmind

dmtmind

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:31 AM

ok im running windows 7. im using testdisk on a drive that is inside a docking station. its an 8tb drive seagate.

my first issue was that windows wasnt seeing the full drive but i got that sorted by going into management services or whatever its called.

heres my real issue. the hard drive asked to be formatted while in use so i ran teskdisk because from what iv gathered chkdsk doesnt do RAW.

i followed this guide http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/263779-32-change-file-type-ntfs

but im stumped now. iv taken photos of the problem this was the first error

https://postimg.org/image/hipogl7cl/

i then pressed enter because it asked and now im stuck here

https://postimg.org/image/dauw7u5x1/

what should i do?

Edited by hamluis, 21 September 2017 - 09:24 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Disk Mgmt - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,566 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:25 AM

I'm not sure how to proceed. Your first image says it all. Testdisk cannot recover the partition. What computer did this drive come out of because Testdisk is saying the drive has a Mac HFS file system. 

You said the full drive was not detected. What did you do in disk management to affect the drive capacity?

#3 dmtmind

dmtmind
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:01 AM

this came from a windows 7 machine. its never been a mac.. although i DID buy it online someone could of tried to pull or did pull a fast one on me

it came from amazon

when i originally stuck it in it was only seeing 1.27TB of 8Tb so i went into disk management and i think i remember having to set it to logical.

im not 100% sure on this

im gonna go look for the guide when i get home.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,566 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:11 AM

when i originally stuck it in it was only seeing 1.27TB of 8Tb 

Do you mean the computer it came out of? Do you need any data off this drive? The problem is if the computer you are trying to install this 8TB drive is an OS disk and the computer has a legacy BIOS you will have issues booting. An 8TB drive would need to be formatted as a GPT disk in order to access the full disk which requires a later computer with UEFI vs Legacy BIOS. 

Is this disk being used to install an OS on or strictly a DATA disk?

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 September 2017 - 10:17 AM.

#5 dmtmind

dmtmind
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:42 AM

Do you mean the computer it came out of?

its always been in a docking station because i dont have room inside the machine any more

Do you need any data off this drive?

ii dont NEED the data but it would be handy to have it.

its a DATA disk only

yes thats it it WAS formatted as GPT

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,566 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:57 AM

I think the only way you will get data off the drive would be to scan it with PhotoRec or some other data recovery software. The problem with PhotoRec is recovery is done in real time and all files will have generic names. It does allow you to select extensions to recover using the file options. Other data recovery software requires you to purchase a license. PhotoRec also recovers to the the folder you unzipped it to which means you need as much free space on the recovery drive as what your intend to recover.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step

Open a command prompt. Type the following commands.

diskpart

list disk

What size is shown in GB for the external? 

If you do not need the data you can wipe the disk and reformat the drive. It can be done in diskpart but would be easier in Partition Wizard doing the following steps.

Select your External drive in the UI. 

Delete All Partitions

Initialize GPT

Create any number of Primary Partitions in the unallocated space.

All steps in Partition Wizard are virtual and will not complete until Apply is clicked. This will let you back out if you did an error.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users