Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Laserjet switches font mid-job

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 starwarsgeek

starwarsgeek

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:21 AM

I've been using an HP Laserjet 1006P to print shipping labels thru my eBay store for quite some time. Recently, if I print more than 4 labels as a batch print, the first 2 sheets (4 labels, 2 per sheet) will come out just fine. Then, the rest of the labels are printed using a system font, which can make it hard to read some of the text. I've updated the drivers for the printer which made no difference. I'm running Windows 10. Any suggestions?

Without giving away people's address, you can see the difference in the pic I attached below.

Attached Files

Edited by starwarsgeek, 21 September 2017 - 08:27 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,005 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:41 AM

What are you using to generate the labels (e.g., MS-Word [unlikely, I know])?

I have seen this sort of thing happen when there is a "hidden font switch" in the source document that's in the middle somewhere, and that's generally not visible in the generating program, that isn't switched back correctly somehow in a way the printer handles well.

Are you able to print this document on any other printer without the font switch occurring if what you see in the generating program does not show any font change?

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 starwarsgeek

starwarsgeek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2017 - 11:50 AM

The labels are being printed thru eBay's seller interface via Firefox. The interface creates a batch of orders, I fill in all the requisite information regarding weight, etc. and the interface creates a .pdf file that gets printed on the label sheets, 2 labels per sheet. I have another printer, a DELL laser printer, but for whatever reason the printer doesn't like the shipping labels and they get all smeared when I print on them. I can print the labels on regular paper and they come out just fine thru the DELL but sometimes I might have 60 or more orders that go out on the same day, so the label sheets are a huge time saver. They are really the only reason I still have the HP printer hooked up to my PC.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,005 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2017 - 11:57 AM

If this is a sudden change after a very long time of working correctly, and it's always the second two on any page, I would suspect it's the eBay generation software rather than the printer itself.

The only suggestion I'd have is to see if there are updated device drivers for that printer and to give installing them a try.  If that doesn't work I'd nag eBay (and, yes, as a long time eBay-er I realize that has an almost zero chance of success).

While I agree that the second font isn't as easily human readable, it seems human readable and the bar codes and QR codes still seem fine, which is what the shipper will be scanning to route the package, anyway.

I definitely know what you mean about peel and stick labels.  I have no idea why your Dell Printer would smear them unless the label sheets themselves were designed specifically for laser printers.  I can print all sorts of address labels on my Canon inkjet printer without issue, and that's been the case on many models of Canon for several decades now.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 starwarsgeek

starwarsgeek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2017 - 12:05 PM

It's not just the second two... it's basically anything after the first two pages. So if I print, say, 8 pages of labels, the first two sheets come out the way they are supposed to and the next 6 sheets use the system font. 12 pages of labels? 2 good sheets, 10 system font. Etc. etc. etc.

I downloaded the newest drivers from the HP website and installed them but it didn't do any good.

The labels are working fine, I haven't had any get lost (any more than usual, at least lol) so it's not really a concern for the shipments. I'm just curious as to why it's happening.

The DELL printer just doesn't like the shipping labels for some reason. No idea why honestly, but they always seem to get messed up when I try to print them there. I can print on any other kind of paper without issue, just not the labels.

Thanks for your help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users