Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with install & partitions

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 MsTeena

MsTeena

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 21 September 2017 - 12:20 AM

Hello all.

I'm right in the middle of a fresh install and sitting at the screen where I need to select a drive and I need some direction please. With all of the research and mass tutorial watching I've done, I was not expecting to find 4 partitions.

This machine was upgraded from 7 and then later a system reset was done. Could this be why there are 4? In any case, here are the details of each partition:

Partition 1:SYSTEM, size 199mb, 158mb free, System
Partition 2:<blank>, size 581.4gb, 464gb free, Primary
Partition 3:RECOVERY, size 14.5gb, 1.6gb free, Primary
Partitian 4:HP_TOOLS, size 103mb, 89mb free, Primary

I think it would be helpful just to understand the reasons a person might decide to delete them or keep them. I'm giving this machine to an older woman who will be using the machine for social media, video chatting and minor browsing/shopping. So I dont believe there is a need for one.

Thanks in advance!!

T.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,487 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 21 September 2017 - 12:58 AM

I'd suggest for simplicity, just install onto Partition 2, which is a standard installation.

Partition 1 is a system partition which is normally present.
Partition 3 appears to be the HP recovery partition used to restore the computer to out-of-the box state (Windows 7).
Partition 4 holds the HP diagnostics that can be run from the BIOS, hard drive testing and the like.

If you thought the user would value the extra space, 3 and 4 could be deleted, but from the sound of its likely usage, it probably doesn't matter.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Umbra

Umbra

Authorized Emsisoft Rep

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 21 September 2017 - 04:13 AM

I'd suggest for simplicity, just install onto Partition 2, which is a standard installation.

Partition 1 is a system partition which is normally present.
Partition 3 appears to be the HP recovery partition used to restore the computer to out-of-the box state (Windows 7).
Partition 4 holds the HP diagnostics that can be run from the BIOS, hard drive testing and the like.

If you thought the user would value the extra space, 3 and 4 could be deleted, but from the sound of its likely usage, it probably doesn't matter.

I agree, just install on partition 2 , about 3 keep it unless you are sure you will never use use the Win7 recovery anymore.

i suggest keep 4 (who knows if you may need it someday)

Edited by Umbra, 21 September 2017 - 04:15 AM.

Emsisoft Community Manager

#4 MsTeena

MsTeena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2017 - 04:38 AM

I was under the impression that the recovery partition was no good after the upgrade to 10. Is that not the case? Given the ability to download an os from microsoft is it really necessary anyway? As far as 4, unless I was using it without realizing it, I didnt even know it existed. With that said I feel like maybe I should delete it as well?

The last install tutorial I watched the duded deleted all partitions and then did an install. Does the drive need to be formatted?

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,487 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 21 September 2017 - 04:46 AM

The recovery partition is now only useful to return fully to ex-factory state, presumably the Windows 7 that was upgraded. If that will never be needed, the 14GB of space could be usefully made available to partition 2. Partition 4 is so small the extra space would be hardly any consequence, but could also be deleted if you wish, however the diagnostic can sometimes be useful for testing components if the system has a problem. If you choose during the Win 10 installation to accept the entire empty space, however much you end up with, the installer will format it as part of the process.

Edited by Platypus, 21 September 2017 - 04:49 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 21 September 2017 - 12:33 PM

Since you're doing a fresh install I'd delete all of the partitions and create a single partition for the new install.  The install will create a new system partition as part of the install process.  You can download the BIOS from HP to recreate the diagnostic partition, if you want.  You no longer need the recovery partition.

#7 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,631 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 21 September 2017 - 01:01 PM

Since you're doing a fresh install I'd delete all of the partitions and create a single partition for the new install.  The install will create a new system partition as part of the install process.  You can download the BIOS from HP to recreate the diagnostic partition, if you want.  You no longer need the recovery partition.

This is exactly the best practice, and this is what I do with all of my clients.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#8 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,652 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 21 September 2017 - 01:02 PM

I was going to include a quote from one of your prior posts but after double-checking every one else's recommendations, I certainly cannot improve what has been mentioned.

But I'd like to add the following: After completing your fresh install, create a USB Recovery drive and a system image backup.

In my case I use Macrium Reflect Free on a monthly basis; at the end of the month just before the following month since Microsoft installs updates more than once usually from the 1st Tue of the month into the 3rd week of the month. 

Edited by cmptrgy, 21 September 2017 - 01:10 PM.

#9 Umbra

Umbra

Authorized Emsisoft Rep

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 21 September 2017 - 03:24 PM

In fact all depend if the owner is willing to accept the full "cleaning", ask her first.

Personally, i won't care of any partition, i will wipe all drives because i know i will rely on a backup sofware.

Edited by Umbra, 21 September 2017 - 03:24 PM.

Emsisoft Community Manager

#10 MsTeena

MsTeena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2017 - 05:12 PM

Completely editted...sorry guys if you already read this. I suck.

So I made it through the install but when it was completed it looped back to right before where the key needs to be put in. The second time around I decided to pull the usb out but then it sat on a screen with the chasing dots forever so I put it back in and then it restarted and the same thing happened but this time it went back to beginning of the install. I must have pulled it out too late.

Ive decided to remove the partitions based on what you all have said. So after I delete each one from what Ive gathered, all I will need to do is make a new partition. Im assuming it will walk me through this process? Oh and can it be partition 1? I ask because of one of the comments above says about the main drive is usually partition 2? Sorry but for some reason I cant scroll up and see exactly what it says.

On a side note...when I went into the bios to change the boot order before the install I didnt see anything that said legacy or UEFI. I thought that was kind of odd considering I had seen it talked about a lot. But its an older system with win10 over win7 which I have no idea what that might have done, so I didnt think much of it. Well in researching this looping issue it's mentioned by someone else who has a looping problem. Could this have anything to do with why mine was looping? 😕

Also, why does the system create a windows.old folder? Is it just in case someone didnt back up their files?

Thanks guys!

T.💕

Edited by MsTeena, 21 September 2017 - 10:58 PM.

#11 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,652 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:34 AM

I was under the impression that the recovery partition was no good after the upgrade to 10. Is that not the case? Given the ability to download an os from microsoft is it really necessary anyway? As far as 4, unless I was using it without realizing it, I didnt even know it existed. With that said I feel like maybe I should delete it as well?

The last install tutorial I watched the duded deleted all partitions and then did an install. Does the drive need to be formatted?

Yes delete all partitions which will result in an unallocated single partition, continue from there, I think you click on Next at that point.

the fresh install will re-create the necessary partitions. Do not format the drive.

--- I don't recall if Win7 recovery partition will be re-created.

I suspect you have a Legacy BIOS since the system was originally Windows 7.

There's more than one way to determine that but Type system information in the Type here to search box

Open the System Information app

Scroll down to BIOS and see what it reports.

Edited by cmptrgy, 22 September 2017 - 11:41 AM.

#12 MsTeena

MsTeena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:24 PM

Thanks cmptrgy. I remembered that I had tried Belarc Advisor before I started this task and there it was right there, Legacy BIOS in UEFI. I havent done a ton of research but I just read that if I installed windows in the wrong mode that I wouldnt be able to use the features of that firmware without reformatting the drive. Granted I dont know if I would know the difference since I dont even know what that is LoL. No seriously though Ive heard of it and will google it after I post this. Im worried I missed it in the bios and chose the wrong usb option. Im at the partition screen now and cant access help. Is it too late to go look? Uggghhh!!

Edited by MsTeena, 22 September 2017 - 12:26 PM.

#13 MsTeena

MsTeena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:47 PM

Oh boy...I haven't read much more yet but so far its all going way over my head. What a mess. LoL and here I thought being part owner of a computer repair shop for 3 years and living with my ex computer repair geek boyfriend for 7 years that I would do a bit better than this! If this is too much too explain please tell me and I will ugghh call the ex. LoL. I will wait for a reply from someone before doing anything.

😩

#14 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,652 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2017 - 02:04 AM

Here is one method to consider https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-clean-install-windows-10-a.html

#15 MsTeena

MsTeena
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:16 AM

OS Install Complete!

Thank you for the links and all other suggestions, I totally appreciate all of your time. The install is complete and all is good. I ended up deleting partition 3, leaving partitions 1 & 4 as they were and selecting partition 2 for the OS. After hitting next, it did its thing for a few minutes and when it indicated it was going to reboot I pulled the usb and after a few more minutes the setup was complete. Totally easy!😀

Thanks again!!

T.💕

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users