Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice on Workstation Purchase

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 1,843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:53 AM

Yeah threadripper is great for what you are going to do :D

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#17 Em1xam

Em1xam

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted Today, 03:55 PM

Hi everyone,

Quite an interesting thread, arriving precisely on time for me as I envisage some similar type of update of my old equipment with the exact same applications and objectives in mind.

@Crusts: I might not be as advanced as you are in this purchasing process, though, as this would still rather be a question of months on my side before I finally make such a re-investment, but my point here is to kindly ask you to let us know on this thread whether your new config - once acquired - will indeed meet your ambitions as explained above. That kind of knowledge/feedback would be very helpful.

Many thanks in advance.

Hi @Em1xam, no problem at all, so after about 2 months of researching and asking round for advice (at places like here), I purchased the specs listed below. It arrived about a week ago and I've been testing the new machine this week:

Scan Computers 3XS WA6000 Viz

ASUS PRIME X399-A Motherboard

16 Core AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X, 3.4GHz, 4.0 GHz Turbo CPU

64GB RAM

8GB NVIDIA Quadro P4000 Graphics Card

250GB Samsung 960 EVO SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda Mechanical HD

And just for comparison, this is what I was working on before:

2013 iMac

3.4 GHz Intel Core i5

24GB Ram

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2048 MB

1TB Mechanical HD (don't know what kind)

I'm really impressed with the new machine, one C4D test saw a 4 second render involving ambient occlusion and global illumination take only 3 minutes. On my old iMac the same file with the same settings took 1 hour!!! :o Another file saw a single frames render time go down from 50 seconds to 6 seconds! So yea, generally been blown away with it! It's great, truly a pleasure to work on, although it is taking a little adjustment getting used to the windows operating system.

Hopefully this might help you with your own purchase :)

Great. This will definitely help me. Thanks a lot for the feedback.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users