Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse and Keyboard randomly stop working.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Angelicnette

Angelicnette

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 20 September 2017 - 04:28 PM

I have a Logitech duo mouse and Keyboard that just recently started to randomly stop working. I can work for hours and suddenly it will stop entirely or get really spotty. It is infuriating. 

They are now brand new, as I replaced the old ones, but it is doing the same thing.

I obviously have replaced the batteries, and tried them in other computers without being able to replicate the issue. 

Neither one are set to allow the computer to turn them off (in device manager settings)

There are no new drivers.

We have windows 10, the computer was built by a company we no longer work with. But it is just over a year old. 

I am at a loss, and ready to throw something through a window. I have done internet searches, the closest thing I have come up with is that it could be caused by Flash, but I rant he Flash uninstaller and that didn't help. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 20 September 2017 - 04:39 PM

Connect keyboard and mouse to different USB port.

You will have to start and use your computer in Safe Mode for us to know if any program is causing the problem.

"7 ways to boot into Safe Mode in Windows 10"

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-10

Posted Image

#3 Angelicnette

Angelicnette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2017 - 04:48 PM

I tried that also, moved it from the back to the front thinking somehow it was too far away. I have tried both in the front. 

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2017 - 04:52 PM

I would like to have you run a Clean Boot.

How to perform a Clean Boot.

Warning: Disabling items in Services or Startup may leave your anitivirus disabled until the process is ended. For this reason I would suggest that you perform this process off line.

Press the 7W6b39o.png keys to open Run, then type msconfig in the search box. This will open System Configuration.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should enter the password or provide confirmation.

(1) Click/tap on the General tab.

(2) Click/tap on the Selective startup option.

(3) Remove the check mark in the Load startup items check box.

0JgaJnG.png

4. Click on the Services tab.

5. Place a check mark in the Hide all Microsoft services check box, this will remove the Microsoft Services from the list but will still be running.

6. Click Disable all, this will remove all of the check marks in the Services list.

yIKrmLs.png

7. Click on Apply then OK

ljHR4ZW.png

Click on Restart in the window that opens.

When the computer is restarted it will boot normally.

Let me know if the problem persists after restarting the computer.

Posted Image

#5 Angelicnette

Angelicnette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2017 - 04:57 PM

I'm trying to finish work so I will have to try this tomorrow. I will post and let you know if it works. 

#6 Angelicnette

Angelicnette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:17 AM

OK I have completed the clean boot. So far so good but it's only been 5 minutes. I will post again later today if I have the issue again. Thank you for your help. 

#7 Angelicnette

Angelicnette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:48 AM

GRRR nope it did not work. I am still having the same issues. 

#8 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:57 AM

Uninstall mouse and keyboard driver from Device Manager. You can open Device Manager by typing devmgmt.msc into Start Menu.

Posted Image

#9 Angelicnette

Angelicnette
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2017 - 11:48 AM

I forgot to mention that but I have also done that. I just don't know what else to do. 

#10 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2017 - 04:50 PM

Your only option is to test your computer with different keyboard and mouse.

Posted Image

#11 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 933 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 21 September 2017 - 04:56 PM

Hi, sometimes a filter is applied to either a keyboard or a mouse (or both) that causes problems, usually reverting to MS defaults fixes the problem. To find the errant filters we need to query your registry, this is perfectly safe as it only reads what's there.

Go to search and type:- command prompt, right click on the returned command prompt and select "run as administrator" an elevated cmd prompt will open, copy the text below and paste anywhere in the cmd window:-

reg query "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e96f-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}" /s > 0 & notepad 0

Next copy:-

reg query "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e96b-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}" /s > 0 & notepad 0

Press enter after each cmd, notepad will open, please copy the contents of the two notepads into your reply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users