Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to start windows 7 dell laptop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 amywindows2000

amywindows2000

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 20 September 2017 - 03:38 PM

I cannot start my laptop at all. I have a Dell Inspiron windows 7 64 bit. The last time I shut down it took forever. Then after that, I started as normal and after I type my password in, it just stays on the welcome screen. I tried safe mode and it worked, started up fine, and the next day I tried it again in safe mode and it was loading the drivers and just froze. I tried clicking on repair, and it ran the disk check and found no errors. I have no windows repair disc or anything.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 20 September 2017 - 03:43 PM

When you say you ran a disk check do you mean you ran the Dell Diagnostics by tapping F12 at boot?

#3 amywindows2000

amywindows2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2017 - 07:31 PM

Sorry, what I meant was I clicked on repair computer, then after restarting it came up by itself here are some screenshots. I waited for an hour today on the welcome screen, I tried pressing control alt delete, and in the end a different blue screen came up and the task manager but nothing else. I opened a new task and typed explorer. All of a sudden my home screen come up. So since then I have been moving files onto a USB device. Cannot open Google chrome, and my avg security says in red 'unknown'.

Attached Files

Edited by amywindows2000, 20 September 2017 - 07:32 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2017 - 07:36 PM

Is there a COA sticker on the side or bottom of the computer with a legible key? You can currently login to Windows?

#5 amywindows2000

amywindows2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2017 - 09:29 PM

Yes i can log in, sorry i don't really understand what you mean.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2017 - 10:09 PM

There should be a COA sticker on the bottom of the laptop showing the version of Windows and the key.

If there is none you can still do a clean install if you wish by first downloading Advanced Tokens Manager. Unzip it to the desktop.

Run the program and write down the key it finds. This would be the SLP key that Dell puts on all there computers. Click Activation Backup. When finished it will change to Activation Restore. Copy the unzipped folder on the desktop to a flash drive. This will save your activation files should you need to reinstall using a non-Dell Windows 7 iso.

I am assuming this is Windows 7 Home. You can download an iso of your version using this tool. In the list select COEM which is what you would need for your computer. Download the 64bit iso file.

Another option is to backup your data and do a factory reset.

http://www.dell.com/support/Article/us/en/19/DSN_362066/EN

I know this is a lot to throw at you at once. If your computer is now booting normally you don't need to factory reset but you can still download an iso of your Windows 7 version. I will be off until tomorrow and I will be able to answer any questions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users