Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

use of hard disc via usb in ubuntu

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pedrwilliams

pedrwilliams

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 20 September 2017 - 12:32 PM

I want to change my OS ( ubuntu 16.04 with unity desktop) from 32 bit to 64 bit.( I have checked that my PC can run 64 bit programs )  I have a lot of material which I have saved over years and I don't want to lose it .  I have a second internal dsc and an external disc connected by USB.  I  would like tto put  the material I wish to keep on the external disc , My PC has several usb sockets and I have previously used them to write files  to USB memory sticks. This was an easy operation because when a usb stick is put in  a socket an icon appears in the desktop launcher . When this icon is clicked the contents of the stick are shown and files can be added by dragging them to the contents area. I would like to use the same  method to transfer files to the external disc connected by USB. Is it possible  to do this? At present I have no way to display the contents of the  external disc connected by USB. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 20 September 2017 - 01:20 PM

Your method works very well in Ubuntu. Just plug your hard drive in and you should get a new icon and then you can transfer very easily.

Of course there are people here that will tell you to use the DD command, but it is your choice;

http://www.linuxnix.com/what-you-should-know-about-linux-dd-command/

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 20 September 2017 - 02:43 PM

Yup linux can do this sort of thing with ease, the live will allow you to transfer files from your computer to a backup.

This is why I always bring a linux USB with me for back up purposes :D

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#4 pedrwilliams

pedrwilliams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2017 - 03:36 AM

I seem to have not made the problem clear. The method I want to use works very well for USB sticks but  when I plug in the hard drive NO NEW ICON APPEARS ON THE DESKTOP! What should I do ?

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2017 - 01:03 PM

I seem to have not made the problem clear. The method I want to use works very well for USB sticks but  when I plug in the hard drive NO NEW ICON APPEARS ON THE DESKTOP! What should I do ?

With Ubuntu there should not be a new icon on the desktop, there will be a new icon on the task bar on the left hand side of the screen. If you do not get one, restart your computer.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 21 September 2017 - 02:08 PM

Or it would be in the file manager, despending

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#7 pedrwilliams

pedrwilliams
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2017 - 04:16 PM

There is no icon on the launcher at Left Hand side . Gparted partition editor shows the external disc . Using "Files" as manager shows 3 files in "media" folder but I can't open  them (no permission) . What I really want is to be able to transfer files easily just as I did with the usb sticks. Surely there is a way to do this?

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2017 - 05:44 PM

There is no icon on the launcher at Left Hand side . Gparted partition editor shows the external disc . Using "Files" as manager shows 3 files in "media" folder but I can't open  them (no permission) . What I really want is to be able to transfer files easily just as I did with the usb sticks. Surely there is a way to do this?

It usually is just that easy using Ubuntu. This begs the questions;

1. How old is the hard drive?

2. What is the health of the hard drive?

3. What is the format type of the hard drive?

4. What file type are you trying to transfer?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users