Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why Apple’s iOS Is Scary Not In A Good Way!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 rhollenbeck

rhollenbeck

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 20 September 2017 - 10:34 AM

Be forewarned, this will contain harsh cold unsugarcoated statements and sarcasm.  Stop here if you cannot handle it.

I want to get this out there, NOT an Apple fan!

Notice in the sentence above, “not” is in uppercase, bolded, underlined, italics and quotes.  I described it in case that formatting is stripped.

I don’t like the Mac OS X nor do I like iOS.  Yes I have had them, used them, and discarded them.  Give me a Windows PC (even the Windows Phone 10 was good, no apps is what killed it) or a Droid any day.  Some days on the phone side I miss my Blackberry and the BES server for keeping corporate contacts.  Nothing was better nor has anything come close including O365.

Apple is way-overrated, way, when given credit for innovation.  Just ask Qualcomm, Saehan Information Systems or Xerox.  Isn’t the Mac OS based on Linux?

On the phone side, the iPhone X and iPhone 8 just recently announced.  Let me welcome iPhone users to 2015 …finally.

Also with the iPhone X being released, why would you buy an iPhone 8?

The latest and greatest from Apple which sounds like an S6 from 2015 to me, but hey Apple is doing its usual job of selling older technology as the greatest innovation in the world.  And people, some people, about 13% of smartphone users have an iPhone, is buying it.  To many it is a status symbol.  I personally find the phones pre-schoolish or is playschool more like it?

Apple's new iPhone 8 and iPhone X support fast-charging, oh that's right the iPad had that already.  But wait, there is more, now you get Qi standard support for wireless charging, something even the latest Windows’ phones had.

But compared to the iPhone 7, the new phones are thinner, faster and have a better screen.  That’s how these things go right, they get better as time goes on when technology is concerned. 

Normally.  Apple did remove the headphone jack, for our own good we are told.

Hey did your wireless Apple earbuds finally come in that you ordered so long ago?

Then there is the brand new firmware / software iOS 11.

“iOS 11 will break your old apps and maybe even your iPhone, but that’s a good thing”

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ios-11-break-old-apps-maybe-even-iphone-140837646.html

No new firmware update means any security holes are not fixed, which means hackers can get into those devices.

Also if you think you will just stay on 10.3 for a long time, well just wait until you want to do a restore in the future, sorry not going to work, not the latest iOS.

What this article means is in translation –

Planned obsolescence.  You people are cheap and cling to old devices, time to move on and pay the $1000 for a new device and as Tim Cook says the $1000, sorry the $999 is a value price.

"It’s a value price, actually, for the technology you’re getting,” Cook said. 

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/tim-cook-1-000-iphone-160228069.html

I know I am getting off my topic of “Why Apple’s iOS Is Scary Not In A Good Way!”, but I just need to set the table that Apple’s latest and greatest is old tech.  It adds to the topic and gives people the pause “hmm” moment.

I don’t think Microsoft or Google are the greatest gift to mankind either.  With Microsoft at least they do admit that if they cannot buy the company or product, they emulate it and normally make it better.  Except when Microsoft tries to be Apple like Office 2013 or 2016, Windows 8 Metro is also because of trying to woo the Apple users.

I don’t suffer from European envy, Chicago envy or envy of any sorts.

I had a trainset growing up, so I don’t think trolleys or trains are the answers.

Now that I aired that, let me just talk about Apple iOS and the arrogance of Apple and its leaders.

They claim the iOS doesn’t get viruses or malware due to its restrictive and security design.

They pulled all of the AV products out there in the store they claim because it is spelled right out in the developer guidelines: “Apps that read or write data outside its designated container area will be rejected”.

That translates to:

The antivirus/antimalware apps in the Apple Apps Store didn’t work because of Apples rules.

They couldn’t protect as long as they followed the rules because the apps cannot scan other apps or files rendering them useless by design.  Then because of Apple’s rules for app developers, the so-called “good guys” were and are powerless.

Not even the trusted good guys like Symantec, McAfee, Sophos Trend, Malwarebytes, this list goes on and on of reputable “Good Guys” cannot make a product to detect let alone protect the iOS.

Hmm…I sure hope Apple told the bad guys that, because bad guys “ALWAYS” follow the rules and play fair.  This is an equivalent to stripping guns from law-abiding citizens and letting the bad guys, criminals, buy the guns on the black market or the street.

I’m not talking about the run-of-the-mill script kiddies, I’m talking hackers.

Hackers are the bad guys leaving viruses and malware behind like roach eggs exploding and exploiting “unknown” security holes.

Less secure because we cannot check it or them.  Don’t worry it is best to be and stay in the dark, that way you don’t see the bad things, they are not there.  Wish them away.

So just think about this since mobile users trust the official app stores like Apples’ Store  how did those products that didn’t work get in the Apps Store if Apple checks?

Does that mean either Apple isn’t checking as well as they said they were or is it possible things without their knowledge slip in?

Another “hmm” moment!

How about going to an infected website or getting something in email?  Download any attachments lately?  All kinds of fertile ground for hackers or those who want to infect someone’s phone.

Ok folks, show's over, nothing to see here!  Move along!

Former American President Ronald Reagan said it best, ‘Trust but verify” just not with Apple.  Just trust them, they have it all under control.

No Apple doesn’t have antivirus/antimalware detection/protection in it, it doesn’t need it according to them, it is imperious because Apple has setup rules you see.  No they don’t have a program running on the iOS checking for rule breakers, no need.  Just trust them, trust Apple.  The iOS cannot be hacked or exploited right?

Don’t be a worrywart!!!

They say 85% of what we worry about never happens, right?  So why worry here about that 15%?

Look at it this way – The “Bad Guy” hackers don’t and will NOT follow the rules and if you cannot check for them and shed light on them, the cockroaches will just stay hidden in the dark.  They are still there, but hey, don’t worry you cannot see them and if you cannot see them by Apple’s standards they are not there.  So put your head in the sand like an ostrich (yes I know ostriches really don’t bury their heads in the sand) and just click your heels together and repeat 3 times, “There’s no need to worry about viruses, malware, or hackers I have an Apple”!

The other false sense is everyone does the firmware iOS updates.  I know plenty of people that just don’t do them.  That tantamount to the “vaccine deniers” who believe they are protected because you and your family get the vaccine so they don’t have to and risk any of the possible bad things they feel vaccines bring or do.

Doesn’t this all sound familiar like dejavu?

Remember when Apple said the same thing about the Mac OS?  No need for AV!

It is Apple’s arrogance that is getting in the way, but for me that is par-for-the-course whenever Apple is concerned.  Tell me they are not the snooty, snotty, chip-on-their-shoulder we are better than X (fill in the X with whomever) company.

Oh don’t worry, Apple knows what they are doing, nothing to see here, move along, move along.  Nope they are not working with the NSA don’t worry about your security or privacy, just leave it up to them.  Don’t look behind the curtain, wait you cannot look, the rules say so.  Just move along nothing to see or worry about.  Move along!

Trust them!

Well I don’t and I don’t think you should either.  Just the way I see it.

Or am I wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 20 September 2017 - 02:03 PM

To turn a coin and paraphrase a line from 'The Treasure of the Sierra Madre', Mac users might chime in with their own opinion- "We don't need no stinkin' Windows!".
(Typed on a prophylactic iPad) :)

#3 rhollenbeck

rhollenbeck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2017 - 02:24 PM

And I would expect that from Apple users, however is my reasoning flawed?  Am I missing something?  If you don't look for it, how can you be sure is or isn't happening?  The assumption is Apple iOS cannot get them, and when holes are found it is fixed with new iOS updates, however if people cannot or will not do them, what protection do they have?  Can they get infected?

#4 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2017 - 04:20 PM

I actually posted with levity in mind and have been a Windows user (mainly XP). Friends and immediate family have always used Macs without any productivity compromises, regardless of occupation, and admittedly with less of a security concern. That could be changing of course, but their main interest was using a computer that simply worked for their needs, without diligent maintenance, as opposed to (example) myself being constantly aware of bugs, updates and other tasks to insure smooth operation. 
However, your post prompted my tongue-in-cheek response, and since this forum has many experts well versed in both operating systems (I'm definitely not in that league) then we'll see if other opinions appear.
Truth be told, no more Windows for me, iPad is sufficient for now and the next computer will be Mac. Not an opinion, but my choice.

Edit/add: A recent article regarding security:
http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/do-macs-get-viruses-do-macs-need-antivirus-software-3454926/

Edited by r.a.d., 20 September 2017 - 07:18 PM.

#5 rhollenbeck

rhollenbeck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2017 - 09:26 AM

And I am glad people have choices and Microsoft decided to in flux Apple years ago with money to help fight off the government monopoly lawsuit.

If I were a betting man, we will not see a true response as my research and thoughts are sound.  The reason all these years Macs were left alone from the script kiddies is there just isn’t enough Macs out there.  That is the cold truth.  The government and the world runs on a PC, heck even all the TV Stations in my area use PCs.  Apple lost that battle when they turned to Intel.

What you don’t know here can hurt you or in this cases expose you.

Mark this post, some day in the not too future iOS will be exposed with malware and viruses, at the moment no one is looking for it so too is perceived to not be happening.  You can draw the same line and conclusion for voter fraud, if you don’t look and check for it, how do you know it doesn’t happen?

Two things always hold true: don’t ask a question if you cannot handle the answer and if your logic and reasoning is not valid your premise is wrong.

#6 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 417 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2017 - 01:17 PM

First, after reading your first post again, you do bring up a legit question/concern, albeit (as you said) satirically posed. 
Infections rely on susceptibility of the host, the machine and the user (emphasis on the latter), and in the case of a Mac, its time of being more shielded against disease (due to market share) may be passing.
However, from a novice perspective and reading through some entries in the malware removal section here (and other similar sites) curing a Windows computer seems to require a myriad amount of tools to achieve success akin to several rounds of full-spectrum antibiotics. Even then, what guarantee is there that some germ remnants aren't still lurking? Some sites even recommend a re-install of the operating system to be absolutely sure.
A current article about cleaning a Mac of infections seems simpler, if the below is accurate:
http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/how-remove-mac-viruses-for-free-3594625/

I'm hoping some experts here respond, it would be interesting for points of view.

On a personal note, used my XP computers for about 15 years, two at SP-3, kept one at SP-2 and never caught the flu (or even a cold), probably due to user susceptibility, as they were used past their support date. Their bodies (hardware) eventually broke down. I'm still going. :)

#7 rhollenbeck

rhollenbeck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2017 - 01:42 PM

You’re getting to the surface of my point, we need to dig deeper and look, without doing so it is just a perceived feeling of safety.

Maybe looking at it like this:

You are told that you are going to end a room.  This room was built by us and we check it, may be (as we  saw with the Apps store cleanup may be checked) but you will be okay because we say so, just follow the rules and the guide rails to the door on the other side. 

You enter the dark room (iOS) with no way of turning on the lights (cannot even read the files) and you must trust your gut and feeling around.  Kicking your foot for the rail, you cannot see anything else or if someone didn’t follow the rules and stepped out of the rails or if there anything harmful, all you have is someone’s word.

Oh we forgot to tell you, if we discover something bad we will not tell you, we will just fix it, still not turning the lights on, just fix the one issue.  Oh no you may not have a flash light and just keep moving along, stay in the rails, that is what we tell everyone, we don’t even let the police (the good guys like Symantec) have flash lights, and certainly not a gun to protect you, that is silly everyone just needs to follow the rules and well you know we will all be safe.

It’s easy because well all the bad guys are concentrating on the other 2 rooms, Microsoft and Android, so you are safe.

Forget the saying do what is right not what is easy, we know better.  No don’t question, just move along.

Okay you have a point there are 3 rooms, the Mac room does get attacked, but that is not your concern, you are safe in the iOS room, trust us.  Yes we did say that Macs couldn’t get viruses in a Super Bowl ad only to have angered the bad guys so they made a Mac virus and we had to take don’t that ad, that’s why through peace, love and harmony of singing kumbaya we will not anger the bad people.  Just look away and not into and things will be fine.

Yes that is dripping with sarcasm, however the point is valid.  BTW I sent my original two both Apple and MacWorld, heard nothing.  Apple support got me nowhere on this issue months ago.  All I got was, “We don’t get virus or hacked.  If a hole is found we patch it via a new version of iOS or patch the app if need be.  No we don’t check, we don’t have to!.”

#8 rhollenbeck

rhollenbeck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2017 - 03:43 PM

Funny, not in a ha-ha way, this is in the news.

Disable Apple's "Find My Device" to Stop Hackers From Ransoming Your Mac or iPhone [Updated]

https://lifehacker.com/disable-apples-find-my-device-to-stop-hackers-from-ra-1818618139

#9 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:49 PM

The solution is easy... don't use the product...

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#10 rhollenbeck

rhollenbeck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2017 - 06:18 AM

jburd1800 that is an oversimplification answer.  I have users on my network demanding the use of iOS devices for various reasons and I don’t just want to be using devices with no protection or even acknowledgment that there could be viruses/malware or hacking. Knowledge and information is the key, but I need facts to present to the powers that be and getting answers out of Apple is impossible.

Have you tried to get the official word on the iPad Minis?   Discontinued or not?  Yes as Apple tells me the devices are still in the supply chain, however if we are going to be buying 350 of the devices to be used in a rugged environment and they start breaking and we cannot get replacements that’s an issue.

Of course Apple falls back on, “Well the iPad isn’t an enterprise device!” again not so simple since people feel comfortable with things they know (from home) and as I have said Apple has made iOS playschoolish. Being honest, you don’t have to think using an iOS device do you?

When people accept without question and don’t demand real answers there is a problem.  That is called blind faith and the only acceptable place for that is in a church, not in an IT situation.

#11 rhollenbeck

rhollenbeck
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2017 - 06:30 AM

I know this is a hard one, on face value it seems easy, however if you look deep and honest (and I know true Apple supports don’t want to do that since that would mean accepting the truth as fact) but if you don’t look you will not find it.  Just as you have no change of winning if you quit because quitters never win and winners never quit. To win you not only need to play the game, you and all of the people need to play the same set of rules and right now the bad guys don’t have to and we have no way of knowing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users