Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

College Connection Blocking Irc And P2p Networks?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sahn Frahnpsycho

Sahn Frahnpsycho

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 18 September 2006 - 09:11 PM

My connection here at the college, for some reason, makes it difficult to access IRC servers and P2P networks. Occasionally, I'm able to get on IRC when the port automatically switches to 9000 (I don't know how to do this manually) but it's never long before I'm disconnected again.

Is there any way around this?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gary335

Gary335

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 18 September 2006 - 10:20 PM

Probably not. A number of colleges intentioonally block their students from using such programs, especially since P2P programs are often used for illegal purposes on college campuses. They also do this so that people can't get multiple downloads going, thereby draining the network of all its bandwidth, and leaving other people with terrible speeds.

Edited by Gary335, 18 September 2006 - 10:21 PM.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 19 September 2006 - 02:09 AM

Gary is quite right about the many reasons such activity is blocked, to which I mention the additional one of increased threats of malware, and the protection of the resident student (and the university) from lawsuits or criminal penalties.
I would not be surprised that somewhere in your University Catalogue or in your resident guidebook there is not something about severe academic penalties that may be brought against students attempting to override the university's security measures.

I direct attention to the forum rules, which state."No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures." This topic, therefore, is closed.

Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 19 September 2006 - 02:13 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users