Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cat5 vs Cat6

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lobsterman72

Lobsterman72

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 19 September 2017 - 10:23 PM

In an attempt to upgrade my ancient tech. I come across Cat6, with a lil' research the whole thing seems like a scam, basically it's one (1) wire gauge thicker 24g to 23g? So am I to believe that cat5 was running at its peak with the tiny wires? Mine never got warm. So somehow with one wire gauge thicker its somehow faster? Its not like the device knows what the wire size is, it is sending and receiving data defined by a protocol. I assume the protocol states as fast as possible minus lost packets.With that being said, couldnt people just use 16 gauge wires? Also I notice that the distances you can run cat6 is shorter, I assume thats because of the small amount of power thats being applied in the first place. Granted taking the math involved the devices probably couldnt be more than a few feet apart, but theoretically wouldnt it be faster? I could open up my devices and hard wire 16g or 18g wires to the ethernet connectors and have a smoking fast ethernet connection?? it'd be like cat16 lol... yes? no? :)

Edited by britechguy, 19 September 2017 - 10:29 PM.
Moved to Networking. This is more likely to be answered correctly in that forum.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 20 September 2017 - 12:21 AM

What I see written is filled with assumptions.  No mention about the number of twists per foot, signal to noise ratio, lower crosstalk, support 10gig concerning cat6. Higher specs are not a scam

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 20 September 2017 - 07:53 AM

Last year, I bought some new cables and did a little research on Cat 5 vs Cat 6 and I concluded that it really doesn't matter.  Cat 5 is the basic standard, Cat 6 may have some benefit but it does not matter for my home networking purposes.

https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2013/04/ask-lh-whats-the-difference-between-cat5-cat5e-and-cat6-cables/

Louis

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,825 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 20 September 2017 - 08:52 AM

What I see written is filled with assumptions.  No mention about the number of twists per foot, signal to noise ratio, lower crosstalk, support 10gig concerning cat6. Higher specs are not a scam

While they are not a scam, they may not be in any way relevant to a given application, either.

I can't imagine that most home networks could or would benefit from cat6 over cat5, at least at present.

What I find most helpful, in general and not just in this case, is when it's pointed out that a network is only as fast as its slowest part (at least on the whole) and under what circumstances having upgraded "component X" would make sense.  Most of the time for any component X it means that components W, Y, and Z must have some minimum specs that can exploit those of component X for the whole affair to work at peak.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 20 September 2017 - 10:37 AM

To clarify anyone following this thread when its stated Cat5 it is actually meant to be Cat5e.  That "e" is important or as there is no comparison between Cat5 and Cat6 cabling since one only does 100mb tops.

https://www.bncables.com/blog/what-is-the-difference-between-cat5-cat5e-and-cat6-cable

I agree with " If you're confused with your options go with cat6 with close eyes because its updated version. For home and offices, it’s the best decision among cables"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users