Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does Easeus offer a free version?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mystic12

mystic12

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 19 September 2017 - 06:33 PM

I am trying to recover data from a damaged internal drive and installed Easeus but it is showing that only a preview is available and I would need to purchase it to recover the files, I had thought this was a free software?

Edited by hamluis, 20 September 2017 - 10:31 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Backup/Imaging/Disk Mgmt - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,566 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2017 - 06:43 PM

I believe the free version allows one to recover up to 2GB for free but that may have changed. 

https://www.easeus.com/data-recovery/free-data-recovery-software-download.htm

Edit: Minitools 6.5 and earlier was free for home use but that changed with version 7 and later. Now 1GB can be recovered for free.

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 September 2017 - 06:46 PM.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 19 September 2017 - 07:30 PM

I suggest you use a Linux Live DVD, CD or Flash Drive to recover files from the damaged hdd. Puppy linux would do the job

and is less than 200 mb. If you are interested in doing that ask for assistance in the Linux Forum here at BC......Linux & Unix

Edited by hamluis, 29 September 2017 - 02:01 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2017 - 06:02 AM

Linux doesn't do as good a job as Easeus, for example with linux I can see the My Pictures folder but not the pics but in Easeus Trial I am seeing the pics but only 7 pics. I am waiting on the owner to clarify the amount of pics so I will know if to purchase or meantime I can try the free version or Recuva.

Edited by hamluis, 29 September 2017 - 02:02 PM.

#5 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2017 - 06:27 AM

Actually guys, I take that back. I looked around and found a folder with many pics which I am copying right now. Strange though that there should be so many options showing a "Pictures" folder?

So let's discus this please, does this mean that recovery softwares have no added edge over linux?

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,138 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2017 - 06:54 AM

You can simply move the entire pictures folder, the entire documents folder, etc. to whatever medium you are using such as external hdd. No need to

copy each individual sub folder or each individual pic.

Like the dude says in the below 2009 video....if you are hearing a lot of clicking...indicating a physically damaged hdd...best to send to a lab if the data

is important enough to spend a bundle of cash to recover. ‪072 07 - Using The Ubuntu Live CD to Recover Files From an Un-Bootable Computer‬‏ - YouTube

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2017 - 07:03 AM

You can simply move the entire pictures folder, the entire documents folder, etc. to whatever medium you are using such as external hdd. No need to

copy each individual sub folder or each individual pic.

That is what I am doing, I am still trying to figure out what advantages a recovery software might have over linux?

BTW, I have been having issues booting Puppy linux for a while now, seems it boots on some pc's and not on others, it has been my experience that Parted magic works better.

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,138 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2017 - 07:48 AM

Possibly the only advantage is some added GUI. You know, like "now plug in your backup medium".

You may need to get a newer Puppy due to missing drivers. If it fails to boot on newer machines. There are some Puppy enthusiasts

participating in the Linux Forum. They could give you some better advice on that than I. I would think it would be important to mention

which manufacturer and model of computer Puppy fails to boot on.

#9 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2017 - 07:58 AM

I guess it's time I should get the latest version, will do, thx. The only advantage I can think of which a recovery software might offer is auto disc "repair"? As an example when i ran Easeus seems it detected that the drive had issues and the windows disk repair window appeared, it's only after the repair was done that I could see the external drive's contents in linux.

The copying process is very slow now at only 19% but when that is done I will run easeus again to see if will show me this same folder with the many pics.

#10 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,365 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2017 - 05:18 PM

Well guys, this is the result of my experiments today. Yes the latest version [Slacker] Puppy loaded easily but I was not able to read the files from any of the HDD's so Parted Magic as previously mentioned always works best for me so I copied the 32gb of pics over with it.

Next I uninstalled the trial version of Easeus and installed the free version, the trial recognized the drives right away and started showing the files. The free version has been scanning for more than 30 minutes now and still not showing anything at all.

Bottom line, next time I will immediately go to Parted magic and Easeus Paid version. Also Easeus support said I can connect Mac HDD's to a windows pc and Easeus will read in the same way.

Edited by mystic12, 20 September 2017 - 05:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users