Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help On Access.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MaMister

MaMister

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 18 September 2006 - 08:36 PM

I am creating a database using access 2003 for myself.

Everything I key in a new record I have to manually type in the name in the first field, it is time consuming if the name is long.

I am wondering is there a way like once I type a M then a whole list of M's name (which I have entered before) will appear allowing me to choose?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 18 September 2006 - 09:37 PM

On the data entry form or in the grid you can set the field properties such that a dropdown will come up when you attempt to enter data. You need to prebuild a list, with provisions to be able to add to the list names/items which are not yet in your db. Then just hook the list to the field and you're good to go.

Edited by tos226, 18 September 2006 - 09:38 PM.

#3 MaMister

MaMister
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2006 - 09:28 PM

Thanks. It works!

I still have a little problem.

I wanted to tap on the data on my "name" field, so during the list creation I choose the option:
"I want the list box to look up the values in a table or query"

Then I realised that the names that I key in few times all appear in the list box...:
Eg.
Francis. T
Francis. T
Francis. T
Sean. S
Sean. S
Sean. S
Michelle. G
Michelle. G

Is it possible to tap on the exisiting name field values but only display 1 name of its kind?

#4 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 22 September 2006 - 02:42 PM

Change your query to select DISTINCT or UNIQUE (I don't recall the exact wording in Access, and might be confusing now with Oracle, but the concept is the same). Or something about a FIRST match perhaps.

I just checked Help for DISTINCT - that's the name in Access2003.

Edited by tos226, 22 September 2006 - 02:45 PM.

#5 MaMister

MaMister
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2006 - 12:20 AM

The SELECT DISTINCT option works !!!!

Thank you very very much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users