Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC shut down suddenly, now won't boot

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 biddyboo8

biddyboo8

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:26 AM

Hi everybody, I'm 15 and this is my first build so please go easy on me :)

I built this computer early February last year with no problems. Here are the specs: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/P972Ps

I was playing Rust the other night with my friends and the game started lagging for everybody and my controls had gotten weird. My movement keys worked individually from where my character was looking and I couldn't look behind me, I am unsure if this was signs of the computer giving out or if it caused it or if it's completely unrelated. I do remember speaking about a sharpie-like smell but I was stupid and didn't realize something was up. The computer shut down suddenly with a small pop noise but no light. It could have been louder because I had headphones on but nobody in my house heard it. I tried to turn it back on but nothing happened, not even the fans turning on or anything. I took the top off and the CPU fan was hot but still touchable, and the GPU was almost too hot to touch, but I heard this is semi-normal. I disassembled it this morning to see what could have burned and caused the sharpie smell but I found nothing but a hair and some dust.

I put the power cord back in and it blipped for a second,  with what I thought was GPU lights and the fans spinning for a moment before rapidly shutting back off. The thermal paste was like a clay so we're going to be replacing that and we're getting a new CPU fan. Our consensus was that the PSU had died so we're going to wait until my dad gets home from work so he can test it. I would like a third party's thoughts on this. Any help? Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:37 PM

thermal paste getting hard is normal it's part of the bonding process.   but if you removed the heatsink to see this then you need to clean and re apply new thermal past.

now what you describe sounds like a power supply that's gone bad.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:56 PM

You can test the PSU to see if it is able to run by itself.

Open the case and touch the metal of the case to discharge any static electricity.  It only takes 10V to kill board components.

With the computer off remove the power cord from the PSU.

Open the case and disconnect the 24 pin PSU connector from the motherboard.

Place a wire jumper between the green wire socket and any black wire socket.  If the wire jumper is a bare wire make sure it stays away from anything that's metal.

Plug the power cord back into the PSU.

If the PSU is not fried the case fan should spin.

If you dad has a multimeter this would be a good time to check the yellow +12V, Red +5V, and oragne +3.3V rail voltages.    

Readings should not have variances larger than +/- five percent.  

Maximum.........Minimum
12.6V.................11.4V
5.25V.................4.75V
3.47V.................3.14V

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 biddyboo8

biddyboo8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2017 - 02:38 PM

Hey everybody, sorry for taking so long to reply. I found a PSU tester in a bag of old computer parts we have and the PSU fan does indeed spin. Could it still be blown and give out if it supplies more power, or is another component at fault here? Thanks again.

#5 biddyboo8

biddyboo8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2017 - 06:23 PM

Bad news, we had gotten a new PSU and when we hooked everything back up and tried booting the GPU smoked from the VGA cables. It was a different smell than when it first shut down. I'm kind of lost right now. What can I do?

#6 adamsleath

adamsleath

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 21 September 2017 - 04:47 AM

logic tells me that it is psu or gpu.

first hunch is psu.  things that go pop n sizzle are often psu related.

even if the fan is spinning.

do not use that psu 

if you got a new psu....well chances are its still ok.  but your gpu is really in trouble !!!!

if i read your post correctly did you get a new psu?

did the problem happen while using the older psu?  if im reading you correctly seems like the old psu has really borked your graphics card....but i guess youve probably worked that one out already.

the pcpartpicker you linked to are high end components.  if it was me i would not do any more tinkering at all.

RMA the items as soon as possible.  both graphics card and psu are EVGA with a good rma process.  and your components should be under manufacturer warranty.

https://www.evga.com/support/register.asp

register your products and then use the evga rma.

Edited by adamsleath, 21 September 2017 - 05:01 AM.

#7 biddyboo8

biddyboo8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2017 - 01:11 PM

Success! We removed the GPU and the computer now starts up without issue. We submitted an RMA for both the GPU and PSU as they are both still under warranty. Thank you everybody!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users