Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to retaliate against a dodgy software provider

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BorisTheDrunk

BorisTheDrunk

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 19 September 2017 - 10:38 AM

Hello,

I have this irritation I want to vent here. I have purchased the software "Mailbird" a while ago. This bleep is garbage, but that is not the core of my vent.

The core is the way the company is responding. They are completely ignoring all the feedback they are receiving regarding how to make their software application a non-piece-of-crap. They have received constantly straight forward advice on how to make a plain, functional, email application, as though that's bleep hard (speaking as a professional programmer of 10 years but who has ended up poor enough that he can't buy Outlook, for unfortunate reasons). 

The number 1 ranking link on google is this: https://www.lifewire.com/mailbird-review-4046755. I know they are deliberately icing any negative reviews, instead of fixing their software, because that review used to have comments enabled and all of the comments were "this is a piece of bleep, don't go near it". Lesson number 1 kids: if a "review" has comments disabled (and especially if it hides that comments ever existed), "that's an ad", and that product is a piece of bleep.

I consider myself a fairly vindictive guy, for rightly or wrongly (probably wrongly in the grand scheme of things). But most of all I hate the fact that they are going to continue to sell this bleep to unsuspecting (due to their antisocial activities) customers, who are then in turn going to suffer from their software until they give up and use something else.

Specifically, I mean the following: the lack of navigability (literally no idea how to get to 'sent' folder for example), the constant login failures (every other bleep day it's found a new reason to fail logging in, even though the webmail works fine), the message text rendering issues, the refresh lag (my phone gets the email long before this app says I got it), the lack of developer response to simple easily-correctable issues within-5-minutes if you're a non-braindead dev who has push-to-production rights, and the response to the fact their software is bleep has just been: put more money into false marketing.

So my question is, to use a phrase common from my home country, "how do I give these bleeps what they deserve?". They simple do not deserve to victimize other customers on an ongoing basis with their garbage software, and I want to do my part in putting them out of business so they can't any more.

Targeting google rankings hasn't worked (because their marketing dept. is powerful and well-monied and goes after any negative reviews). So what do I do? I don't have the capital to go after them head-to-head, start my own software company to compete for the "between outlook and thunderbird" space. Is there an alternative? I have to work on my own wage-earning stuff, but I feel this moral obligation to get this news out somewhere, to protect other people.

Thanks all.

Edited by hamluis, 19 September 2017 - 10:59 AM.
Moved from All Other Apps to Gen Chat - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Umbra

Umbra

Authorized Emsisoft Rep

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 20 September 2017 - 04:53 PM

Honestly? post one or 2 posts about them then move on, by doing a vendetta you will promote them and make yourself look like a troll which is not benefiting you. 

Emsisoft Community Manager

#3 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,653 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 20 September 2017 - 05:57 PM

Confucius say:

Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.
To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#4 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,347 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 20 September 2017 - 08:58 PM

I refuse to pay for any software and won't and if it isn't freeware I'm not interested.

There is just to many alternatives for excellent free good working software.

Never understood why people pay for Office when there are so many other free alternatives that work as well or do for my use.

I guess I'm just a freeware junkie.

Yeah if you got ripped off on paid software and can't get a refund than mark it off as tuition for the price of an education.

Look how many users pay for antivirus and have the feeling they can't get infected only to discover they did.

There are good reputable software vendors that market good working software products although you have to investigate and research.

My cynical 2 cents.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#5 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 990 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 29 September 2017 - 11:21 PM

BorisTheDrunk

I read most of your first message on the topic.  If you like the program you can choose to purchase a license to use.  If you do not like the program then do not buy the license.  That is how simple it is.  The should decide sensibly if he wishes to give any fee or fund or buy rite to use.  Nobody should spend a license fee for a product that he does not like or that he does not want to use.  

If you do use a commercial software and it requires a license fee & key for support then SPEND the fee!  If you as a user later find that the software you HAVE liked using is not being well supported, THEN ultimately, stop using the product; uninstall it, and do NOT spend any further ongoing recurring fee.  

You mentioned "Mailbird", an email client software.  I would recommend the FREE product, Thunderbird (which is also from a different company).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users