Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question About Java And Ewido's Resident Shield

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cornelia

cornelia

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 18 September 2006 - 08:08 PM

have two questions
first its about J2Se run time Enviroment 5.o update 6, when I check for updates they tell me I have the last version, but in your HJT for infected forum they say the version should be update 8. so what should I do? dont even know what java is for.
Second question I have Ewido whith the resident shield as active, and allso in the forum they say it should be uncheked, so which is the best way of having Ewido running?
I would be very thankfull if somebody could give me a goog advise for my two questions
thankyou very much

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 18 September 2006 - 10:38 PM

The Java home page show the latest to be 6. http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

About Java... Java is a general purpose programming language with a number of features that make the language well suited for use on the World Wide Web. Small Java applications are called Java applets and can be downloaded from a Web server and run on your computer by a Java-compatible Web browser, such as Netscape Navigator or Microsoft Internet Explorer. (Thank you webopedia)

I'm not sure what they are referring to when they suggest "to leave it unchecked", as I understand it the resident shield is already active upon installation.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2006 - 02:04 AM

There was considerable confusion and discussion here at BC (as I am sure you have read)about the latest version of JRE, but it now appears that the last version is actually 1.5.0_8.
See halfway down the page here:
http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

It seems that different Java pages give differing information about which is the most recent release.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 cornelia

cornelia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2006 - 07:33 AM

thank you very much, think I found the ansewer about Ewido guard
At first, well have to disable Ewido guard since it may interfere with our cleaning (We can enable it when you're clean)
and about Java think its better to wait until the same programm has an update.
thank you again

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 19 September 2006 - 09:32 AM

There was considerable confusion and discussion here at BC (as I am sure you have read)about the latest version of JRE, but it now appears that the last version is actually 1.5.0_8.
See halfway down the page here:
http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

It seems that different Java pages give differing information about which is the most recent release.
Regards,
John

Thank you John, I was not aware of this, so much for trusting home pages.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2006 - 11:20 AM

As a matter of fact, there was even a discrepancy between various Java pages and the Java Control Center's most recent version when you manually attempted to update JRE. This seems to have been fixed, though the confusion continues.

Here is the link, DC3, to the rather Long BC thread about the latest version of JRE. Figuring out the correct version was, as you will see, not an easy task:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/60736/latest-java/

Cheers,
John

Edited by jgweed, 19 September 2006 - 11:50 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 cornelia

cornelia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2006 - 03:28 PM

Thank you John
After reading the hole thread about Java you send me, the only thing that is now clear for me is that its not clear for anybody and the best thing to do is when your are not sure its better to stay where you are and wait.
thank your very much

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users