Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Directdraw incompatible?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ray5450

ray5450

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:42 AM

Is it possible to have a video card or driver that is incompatible with Directdraw?  If so, is there a way to fix it?

If not, I am getting fatal error messages (fatal to the game) on my games that have to do with Directdraw, when all has worked before.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 20 September 2017 - 11:48 AM

It would be helpful to know the name of the game with the issue.

Has the game worked previously on this machine?  If yes, has something changed on the machine since the last time the game worked?

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 20 September 2017 - 12:59 PM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy1.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

speccy2.png

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy3.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2017 - 07:00 PM

It is not any one game that is affected.  It is almost all.  They always work before.  I don't know what changed.  I also tried to install Directx to fix this problem.  It installed okay, but still same problem.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Z6T2XIV6NjPrwptYzTYmKnu

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,299 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:40 AM

What I was looking for was the version of Directx you are using, this was not included in this Speccy.  Please do the following to find the version of Directx that is being used on this computer.

Click on Start, then type dxdiag in the Search box, then click OK.

Post the Directx version found in you topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:19 PM

I don't know what version it was when the problem started, but I since installed Directx 11 as to my troubleshooting and that is what it is now.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,299 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2017 - 08:52 AM

Directdraw needs the latest version of Directx,  the latest version is 12.  You can download it here.

Edited by dc3, 22 September 2017 - 08:53 AM.

#8 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 11:21 PM

I tried that site, but it would not download.  I searched for another and found this:

"DirectX 12 is included with Windows 10 and is only supported in that version of Windows."

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-download-install-directx-2624489

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,299 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:51 AM

That's interesting, especially since the same article states the following:

Note: This DirectX download will install on Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, or Windows XP - don't worry that it says it's only supported through a different version of Windows! Whatever DirectX files are missing will be replaced as necessary.

How to Download and Install DirectX (12, 11, 10, 9)

This article is dated July 27, 2017

Edited by dc3, 25 September 2017 - 09:52 AM.

#10 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 08:15 PM

The quote you posted is from the first section having paragraphs labelled 1-5.  The quote is in #3, which is referring to the link in #1 above that.  The link in #1goes to a download for Directx 9.0c, which is the "this Direct x" that will work for Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, or Windows XP.

The next section, which has bullets and not numbered paragraphs, specifically matches each version of Direct X with a version/(s) of Windows, which in addition to my quote I posted above, also says:

"Note: No standalone version of DirectX 12 is available. It's unclear at this point if DirectX 12 will also be made available for previous versions of Windows, like Windows 8, 7, or Vista."

#11 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 1,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 25 September 2017 - 11:52 PM

DirectX 12 is AFAIK only on Windows 10.  According to this Directdraw has been deprecated since DirectX 7.  Personally I've come across DirectDraw issues in later versions of Windows with things like arcade/console emulators which still sometimes have options to use DirectDraw instead of D3D.  If I recall correctly, they would crash with missing DLL error messages.  The solution was to install DirectX 9.0c runtime which installs compatibility with older DX versions which aren't included by default.  

However, I don't know why it would work and then stop working.  I note your OS installation is dated Nov 2016.  Did you do a fresh re-install then?  Have these programs worked since that date?

#12 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2017 - 11:11 PM

Okay, I tried installing Directx 9.0c  (I think that is what I had before), but no change. 

The Windows reinstall was a complete wipe and install.  I have not used the programs in a while, but yes, they did work after that.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,299 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2017 - 08:42 AM

The latest directx for Windows 7 is directx 11, you should update to this.

#14 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2017 - 07:46 AM

I don't know what version it was when the problem started, but I since installed Directx 11 as to my troubleshooting and that is what it is now.

#15 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 414 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 08:30 PM

Review:

1. Before starting this thread, I tried to solve this issue by installing Directx 11 (Post 6).

2. It was suggested to try Directx 12, but it was found that Directx 12 is only applicable to Windows 10.

3. It was next suggested to try Directx 9.0c.  I did so, but the issue remained.

4. It was next suggested to try Directx 11, but as I said, I already tried that before posting here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users