Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSD croaked - can I replace it with an HDD?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Brerg8r

Brerg8r

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 19 September 2017 - 07:55 AM

I have a Dell Inspiron 2-in-1 with a 512 GB SATA 2.5 inch SSD - the drive died right after the warranty expired (of course) - PC won't even recognize that it's there, says "hard drive not detected." already checked cables and connections. I want to replace it with an HDD, but Dell TS said I can't because it would have different connectors.... is this true? I have a techie friend that says I should be able to put an HDD in its place.

Edited by Brerg8r, 19 September 2017 - 08:10 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:12 AM

It's technically possible that Dell could write into the BIOS to only recognize certain drives, but I think it's unlikely. I would expect a regular HDD should be fine, but really, it'll feel slow after an SSD...

Another consideration is, is there any consumer protection provisions under the legal jurisdiction where you live? I'm in Australia, and here, legally a manufacturer can't simply say "that's too bad" if something fails out of their declared warranty period, but still within a period when it would be reasonable to expect a product not to fail.

Edited by Platypus, 19 September 2017 - 08:13 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 19 September 2017 - 09:59 AM

you can get whatever adapters you need to put a HDD in it's place.  unless it's one of those clip in drive boards that plugs into a SSD slot.

if you don't want to just replace the SSD then you also have an option if you laptop has a CD/DVD drive.  you can get a 2.5" HDD cady and replace the cd drive

with a HDD.  they are cheap and work well.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 20 September 2017 - 11:45 AM

All SATA drives that I've seen, both desktop and laptop, have the same connectors.  However, if the drive is an M2 drive and the laptop doesn't have a SATA option the Dell TS would be correct.  For example the HP machines we get at work are now M2 drives, but we could install a SATA drive if we wanted.

I'd suggest pulling the drive and connecting it to another computer to verify that it is indeed dead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users