Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google ''Come here often'' pop-up.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Saska01

Saska01

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 19 September 2017 - 07:29 AM

I've used Firefox along with Google for several years. Just this last week,i've begun to get a pop-up every time i open up my homepage :-

''Come here often - make Google your homepage''  Now,having done a websearch to see if i can find a way of preventing this annoying pop-up,i know that it's been around for a long while - but,i can't find a way of stopping it. Some past remedies aren't applicable any more.

Google IS my homepage - is there any simple way of preventing this pop-up ??. :angry:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 19 September 2017 - 08:39 AM

In Firefox...do you have NoScript Add-on installed? I don't see that popup and it could be because I block some Google scripts.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Saska01

Saska01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2017 - 09:34 AM

Hi buddy215 - No,i don't have the NoScript add on installed in Firefox,mainly because i don't know what it does - must read up on it,thanks for the tip.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,200 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2017 - 09:50 AM

I block the scripts for gstatic, google tag manager, google syndication, google analytics

It will take some time to learn to use NoScript properly but it is certainly one of the best security add-ons...actually the best...for a browser.

You can install NoScript and see if that blocks the popup. Easy enough to disable NoScript or uninstall it. I'm not using a Windows OS so my

testing would not necessarily be accurate.

NoScript Security Suite :: Add-ons for Firefox

Edited by buddy215, 19 September 2017 - 09:53 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Saska01

Saska01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2017 - 05:10 AM

I must admit that it seems very odd indeed that with all the sophistication that Google has at it's disposal,it seeks to get me to use Google as my home page when i already do !.

If as we all know,Google can track almost everything we look at,why can't it detect when we're using GOOGLE as our homepage ???. It could then allow us to delete this ridiculous pop-up.

Regarding on-line tracking,i use ''Privacy Badger'' & it seems to work very well,but with regard to pop-up blockers in general,there's not one that i've tried that works !!. AdblockPlus works 'sort of' & so does the 'Killjasmin' pop-up blocker, to which you can add partial URLs of pop-ups in order to prevent them ''popping-up''.

Thanks for the link to NoScript - i'll have a good read re.it's functions & if it seems to be of use,then i'll add it to Firefox. It does however seem to be 'maybe' using a sledge hammer to crack a very small nut  = removing a small,but annoying pop-up :guitar:

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,200 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2017 - 07:36 AM

Adblock Plus allows some ads. You can prevent that by clicking on its ABP icon in the top of the browsers and choosing Filter Preferences. Then

UNcheck the box next to Allow some non-intrusive advertisements.

#7 Saska01

Saska01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2017 - 06:07 AM

Quote - " UNcheck the box next to Allow some non-intrusive advertisements. '' That was already done. As the pop-up is part of the Google ''Home Page'',i doubt if there's any way to block it - but i did have hopes !.

As it's doing no harm to my PC,i'll let it ride,

Regards

#8 Saska01

Saska01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2017 - 04:33 AM

I noticed yesterday,that if i right clicked on the blue  ''Yes,show me''  button,& then selected 'Inspect Element' ,that the pop-up vanished for the duration of keeping Firefox / Google open - does that signify anything that might be done to remove it completely ??.

I just had a look at the 'Inspect Element' screen,& about half way down there's a line (node) named (span) Yes,show me (span). If you right click on it,there's an option to ''delete node''. What would that do ?.

Maybe somebody with some programing skill could advise us. I'd hate to remove access to Google from my PC by accident - but it seems 'specific' to this pop-up.

And i still can't find an 'Attachment button' to add a photo. to an edited post - very annoying indeed !!  I cut & posted the 'snipped' photo that i made,but this site won't allow 'code' to be posted ike that.

Edited by Saska01, 23 September 2017 - 04:59 AM.

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,200 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2017 - 05:31 AM

I doubt that would end the popup but you can ask about it. Perhaps in the Programming Forum.

I use Imgur for posting screen shots. It is free to use. Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

You need to create an Imgur account to use it.

#10 Saska01

Saska01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:16 AM

I posted my question in the 'Programming' section - No takers i'm afraid. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users