Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

93-100% GPU load at idle with high temps

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dutchinvegas

dutchinvegas

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 19 September 2017 - 04:23 AM

<script> This started yesterday. I noticed because the computer got noisy as the GPU fan started up.  I've used task manager and Process Server and have found nothing unusual.  I'm using Windows 10 Home 64bit. Core i7 @4.2 Kaby Lake 14nm, 32GB Ram, Nvidia GeForce GTX1080 8192Ram.  Thanks for any help.  I did run Malwarebytes. </script>

Edited by dutchinvegas, 19 September 2017 - 07:09 AM.
Moved from Am I Infected to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,534 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 19 September 2017 - 06:19 AM

remove the GPU from the computer, remove the heat sink and fan from the GPU, clean them and reinstall,

apply new thermal paste before reinstalling

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 19 September 2017 - 10:01 AM

Sysinternals Process Explorer can trace any processes using the GPU.  It sounds suspicious if you have not deliberately installed software that uses the GPU at idle (like Folding @ Home, BOINC etc).

I wonder if there is a virus (e.g a remotely controlled Cryptocurrency miner) at work here?

Edited by jonuk76, 19 September 2017 - 10:02 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 dutchinvegas

dutchinvegas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 19 September 2017 - 10:42 AM

Found it.  "Services and Control app"  or something like that.  I looked it up.  Malware.  Killed it and GPU load went to 0!  Thanks everyone!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users