Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GTX 1050 ti only works with one monitor connected on startup

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ucko

Ucko

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 19 September 2017 - 01:04 AM

For some reason, my computer will only properly boot when one monitor is connected. If I have both of my monitors connected, neither of the displays turn on (The computer still boots and I can hear startup sounds). I've had no other issues with my graphics card.

Monitors are both connected via HDMI cords.

Both of my monitors are BenQ RL2455 24 inch gaming monitors.

Drivers are up to date. My computer is on Windows 10 Pro with all updates up to date.

My graphics card is the GeForce GTX 1050 Ti G1 Gaming 4G.

Edited by hamluis, 21 September 2017 - 02:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 19 September 2017 - 04:46 AM

Did it work in the past or is this something new you're trying out? Is this your video card and same ports? https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487291

If that card is yours it appears to have 1 DVI-D, 1 HDMI, 1 display port 1.4 (high resolution 4k). Are you using an adapter for the DVI-D?

#3 Ucko

Ucko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2017 - 07:14 AM

Did it work in the past or is this something new you're trying out? Is this your video card and same ports? https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487291

If that card is yours it appears to have 1 DVI-D, 1 HDMI, 1 display port 1.4 (high resolution 4k). Are you using an adapter for the DVI-D?

This is my graphics card: https://www.pccasegear.com/products/37151/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-g1-gaming-4gb

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 19 September 2017 - 07:29 PM

So just to clarify, both monitors work individually when plugged into any of the 3 HDMI ports?  But plug the two monitors in at the same time to any of the HDMI ports, and neither works?

Out of interest have you tried booting up with just one monitor connected and then plugging the second one in once the system has booted up?

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 Ucko

Ucko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2017 - 01:11 AM

So just to clarify, both monitors work individually when plugged into any of the 3 HDMI ports?  But plug the two monitors in at the same time to any of the HDMI ports, and neither works?

Out of interest have you tried booting up with just one monitor connected and then plugging the second one in once the system has booted up?

Yes. Neither will work if both are connected on startup. 

I have booted with one monitor connected then plugging in the other one later, and it works fine. It's a hassle to have to disconnect the monitor every time i'd like to turn on my computer, though.

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2017 - 01:47 PM

That is weird, but I've got no explanation for it.  It shouldn't be a driver issue, as both monitors normally display a cloned output starting with the BIOS splash screen before drivers are even loaded (in my experience anyway).  All I could suggest is removing and reseating the video card to rule out a poor connection somewhere.

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 Ucko

Ucko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2017 - 07:01 PM

That is weird, but I've got no explanation for it.  It shouldn't be a driver issue, as both monitors normally display a cloned output starting with the BIOS splash screen before drivers are even loaded (in my experience anyway).  All I could suggest is removing and reseating the video card to rule out a poor connection somewhere.

Yeah it's a pretty weird problem. I'll try reseating it, but maybe the card is faulty. I've had no luck with the NVIDIA support though.

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2017 - 02:21 AM

Gigabyte's support might be worth a try. I've had responses from them fairly quickly when querying an issue I was having with a motherboard.

7sbvuf-6.png

#9 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 22 September 2017 - 10:09 PM

Trying rolling back of the driver or updating driver from within the device manager. Try customize driver update too and see if Nvidia driver is in the list and choose that driver over the Windows one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users