Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Encrypted Files in Recycle Bin?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 jessicones

jessicones

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:46 PM

Hello!

Windows 10 on all the following computers.

My friend hard reset during an update which resulted in a crash, so I grabbed what I could off his internal for him. When the time came, he insisted I bring him my external instead of giving me his, so I used LocK-A-FoLdeR to password encrypt and hide the majority of my content.

He says all he did was grab the folder with his name on it, but somehow a huge random chunk of my encrypted files ended up in his recycle bin. We restored them, but the location in the recycle bin showed some of the files originating from the D:, some from E: and the rest from F: for seemingly no reason. I assume they should have all originated from 1 location, whichever drive my external was plugged into.

I have absolutely no idea how this could have happened. He says it has to be something to do with the drive mapping, but I can't help but feel that maybe he was just grabbing the whole drive and trying to transfer it- instead of just grabbing his folder. I have never had any issues at all with any other computers + my external (which I've used extensively for 2 years now), or L-A-F! Does anyone know what could have went down? Why might the recycle bin show my external's deleted contents originating from 3 different drive locations (one of which was his optical drive)? How hard is it to accidentally or purposefully move/delete a password encrypted and hidden folder?

Any ideas and input are much appreciated! Please let me know if there's any further information you might need. Thank you for your time!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users