Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive won't boot

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 huntsin2

huntsin2

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 18 September 2017 - 08:03 PM

Hi,

I am helping someone who's hard drive won't boot. I am wondering is there a way to determine if it is an extremely big risk to use EaseUS data recovery or what kind of risk I am taking?

I am wondering if a program like GSmartControl would help determining this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,654 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 18 September 2017 - 08:34 PM

What is the make and model of the computer and if there is an error on boot what is the error. What is the OS? If Windows 8.1 or Windows 10, did it come pre-installed with Windows 8 or 10,

If the computer came pre-installed with Windows 8 or 10 and the drive is internal you will need to disable SecureBoot in your UEFI settings. You may also need to enable Legacy/CSM boot in order to check the drive with GsmartControl.

Download UBCD. Click the hard drive link, not the mirror link. Burn the iso to a CD or DVD by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image. Boot UBCD and select Parted Magic from the menu. On the desktop is an icon called Disk Health which is Gsmartcontrol. Click on the icon and after a bit you should see your HDD listed. Click on the Hard Drive icon and then the attribute tab. Are there any pink or red rows? If the hard drive icon is red that would indicate a failing or failed drive.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

https://gsmartcontrol.sourceforge.io/home/index.php/Screenshots

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 September 2017 - 08:40 PM.

#3 huntsin2

huntsin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 09:43 PM

Hi JohnC_21,

Thanks for the reply. I had already taken the drive out and connected it to a laptop. I can put it back in though.

It is I believe a Win 7 machine that had been updated to Win 10 which is why I believe the corrections that I am listing below didn't work. It would try to start but would say something like performing startup recovery or something to that affect, and then would go to a screen that would only give you an option to cancel but you couldn't click on restore.

I tried using a Win 10 bootable iso and troubleshoot options to do a reset, startup repair, system restore, and a couple of things from the command prompt. I tried rebooting from the command prompt to get into safe mode, but that didn't work either. I read on a Windows forum of someone else having the same issues on a Win 10 machine that had been updated from 8; his thinking is that it is caused by Windows being updated instead of a clean install.

Anyways, I am mainly trying to help this person decide whether or not it is worth it to take a risk on using EaseUS paid recovery software.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,654 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 09:55 PM

You may not need recovery software. Is the drive currently in a USB enclosure? If so then run Gsmartcontrol to get an idea of the drive's condition. You can download the Windows version, install it on your laptop and check the drive.

Make a note of any red or pink rows under the attributes tab. It's my understanding from the post you cannot explore the contents of the drive when attached to the laptop? If you can explore the contents is there a reason you cannot backup the data and then do a clean install of Windows 10?

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 September 2017 - 09:57 PM.

#5 huntsin2

huntsin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:01 PM

If an enclosure is a physical enclosure that is not what I am using. I have a USB to SATA or IDE adapter. Regarding the drive, it is correct that I unfortunately cannot explore the contents of the drive.

I am somewhat hesitant to even connect the power because I have read that even having power to the drive, if it is bad, can damage it. Would you agree with that?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,654 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:11 PM

I am somewhat hesitant to even connect the power because I have read that even having power to the drive, if it is bad, can damage it. Would you agree with that?

I never heard of this. You must have powered the drive up previously in order to attempt the data recovery, correct? Did you hear any clicking or abnormal sounds from the HDD when it was spinning?

With the HDD powered up an attached to your laptop open Disk Management. Post a screenshot. Is the drive listed as not initalized or RAW?

#7 huntsin2

huntsin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2017 - 10:31 AM

I think it is just to be extremely cautious, in case a drive is failing physically or in a state where it could start to fail physically. There were no clicks when I connected it previously.

I will try the Gsmartcontrol and then post back.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,654 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2017 - 10:34 AM

Check Disk Management with the drive connected. How does it see the drive?

#9 huntsin2

huntsin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2017 - 10:41 AM

It says RAW then below Healthy (Primary Partition)

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,654 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:01 AM

That indicates the partition table and or the files system has been corrupted. I doubt the drive is failing.

Download Testdisk for Windows. Unzip to a folder on your desktop. Do a Quick Search and on any partitions found highlight and press the "P" key. Do you see any files? If the software offers a drive letter do not use it. The drive should be detected as sdb. Use it.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 September 2017 - 11:01 AM.

#11 huntsin2

huntsin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:11 PM

Here is where I am at

test_disk_capture.jpg

#12 huntsin2

huntsin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:14 PM

I do a quick search and then

tdc2.jpg

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,654 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:23 PM

Highlight the second partition with the arrow keys and press "P". Are there any files listed.?

#14 huntsin2

huntsin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:26 PM

This is the first option

tdc_first_option.jpg

The 2nd

tdc_second_option.jpg

The 3rd

tdc_third_option.jpg

It is showing 0's so I think that means there is nothing there; because when I try to copy to a new folder it says something like 0 ok 0 copied.

#15 huntsin2

huntsin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 225 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:34 PM

Here is what shows when I select documents and settings

tdc_documents_and_settings.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users