Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable To Install Program - Missing procedure entry point

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 CorruptCoW

CorruptCoW

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:26 PM

I have been having difficulty installing a particular program (Microsoft Flight Simulator X).

When I run the install application, Windows 7 pops up an error ...

"setup.exe - Entry Point Not Found     The procedure entry point sfc.os.SfcIsFileProtected could not be located in the dynamic link library sfc.dll."

sfc.dll is in the system32 directory of Windows.

I can press OK and the installation proceeds until I start working with the installation settings. It is at that point the installation ceases with :

"Unhandled Exception    Error Number: 0x80040707    Description: DLL function call crashed: ISRT._BrowseForFolder    Setup will now terminate." Upon exiting, "InstallDriver Module has stopped working"

The entry point error first appeared when I tried to run a previously installed MSFS X. I would get a similar error (the bulk was the same, but I'm not sure about the file name). I have not encountered this error starting any other application (yet).  I opted to uninstall and reinstall hoping that that would resolve the error. But now I am getting the error trying to reinstall the application from the DVD.

I have tried a system restore as far back as what points were available, but the restore failed on two different attempts (regular and via Windows 7 repair). I did an sfc /scannow and it identified errors but was unable to fix them. I finally tried a Windows 7 repair from the repair options on the installation DVD. This did not identify any problems to repair.

Neither BitDefender nor MalwareBytes had identified any threats.

I am hoping someone here can lead me to a successful repair or replacement of this dll (if indeed this is the problem.)

Here are some specs of my system ...

Gigabyte z170XP-SLI-CF MB

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.00GHz CPU

16.0 GB Dual Channel RAM @ 1066MHZ (15-15-15-36)

3017MB NVIDIA geForce GTX660Ti GPU w/ NvSurround (5760x1080@60Hz)

931GB WD WDC WD10EZEX SCSI HDD

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit SP1

Edited by CorruptCoW, 18 September 2017 - 07:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 19 September 2017 - 09:11 AM

Worth A Look

Louis

#3 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 19 September 2017 - 09:35 AM

so find the file in your system32 folder, highlight the sfc.dll file, right click and copy file, then goto your flight simulator install folder and paste that file to the same folder as the executable .exe that starts the program.

see if that helps.

#4 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,237 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2017 - 03:23 AM

That function sfc.os.SfcIsFileProtected is in the sfc.dll on my system:

[attachment=198074:1.jpg]

Why does it appear the function is not in the sfc.dll on your system?

Is that installer looking in the wrong place or at some other version of the file?

Navigate to to this folder (assuming Windows is installed on your C drive):

c:\windows\system32

Locate and right click the sfc.dll file, choose Properties, Details and report the File version you see.

In you next reply could you upload the sfc.dll file from your system for analysis?

But you have some other problems too if:

• System Restore fails (did you see if SR works in Safe Mode?)
  • sfc  /scannow reports errors that it cannot correct

Edited by joseibarra, 20 September 2017 - 03:39 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#5 CorruptCoW

CorruptCoW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2017 - 09:24 AM

Thank you all for your replies. My apologies for not acknowledging them up to this point. Let me first share what has been accomplished since my original post.

I managed to get the application installed despite getting this error on launching the setup.exe from the DVD. The application appears to have installed without issue. However, when I launch the application (fsx.exe), I get the same error as I was getting when launching setup, except the reference was to fsx.exe. I should have added in my original post that this was the exact error I received that led me to unistall FSX in the first place, tehn I ran into the error inmy attempts to reinstall (the topic of my original post). I have had this application installed for years without any errors.

I have worked with many applications since this error has came about, so whatever it is, it seems to be only affecting this particular application. It appears to be an annoyance, as everything runs without problems despite the error message. I'm not saying all is well, but the error does not seem to be indicating any noticeable impact to the application.

Louis ... prior to posting my original message, I came across that information from a Google search. I attempted most of the advice they recommended, excluding anything to do with the drivers and of course a reinstall of the OS. It seems unique that the problem is isolated to one application, which is why I turned to you guys before I start messing around with drivers. I figured if it was a driver issue, the problem might be more global affecting other apps similarly. I also didn't resort to a registry fixer ... I have heard mixed advice about their use.

Mightywiz ... I followed through with your suggestion, but it appears to not have made a difference.

joseibarra, you ask those same rhetorical questions I do that I hope someone will be blessed soon to find the answer.

As requested, I've attached a link to a copy of the .dll file copied direct from my WIndows/System32 directory.

The actual .dll can be found here ... https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9EE-tbOy4bJekpQeEdwN3AwaFlLZWo5T3NHNTJHcjhPWFRR/view?usp=sharing

This is the version of the file ...

Capture.jpg

I tried to retrace the steps of my involvement with my system prior to having started getting this error. It's hard to isolate as it had been so long since I tried to launch FSX before observing the error initially, and I had not concern as the error wasn't happening with any other routinely used apps. 

I do recall a botched uninstall of an application related to FSX ... an addon which I no longer wanted. Also, one time during startup, Windows initiated a diskcheck for which some errors had been identified and resolved.

Edited by CorruptCoW, 20 September 2017 - 09:27 AM.

#6 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,237 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2017 - 09:56 AM

Looks right to me inside and out.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#7 CorruptCoW

CorruptCoW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2017 - 10:28 AM

Hi joseibarra, thanks for your time looking deeper into this for me.

So, you are a bit mystified yourself?

Could there be a registry issue that might be causing this application to look in the wrong place for sfc.dll? It's unique.

I would think though that after re-installation that that registry information would have been rewritten.

#8 CorruptCoW

CorruptCoW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2017 - 06:11 PM

Just resurrecting this issue ... I continue to be plagued by this annoyance. This "error message" pops up frequently when I try to execute several different applications, and is common when I try to install. I claim it as being an annoyance rather than a problem, as the error doesn't appear to be causing any malfunction in such application's installation or use. (but who knows what may or may not be going on as a result behind the scenes).

Something else that I have noticed that may or may not be related. There are instances where I try to delete a folder or file from within Windows Explorer but am denied because it is apparently be used by another application. The only way I can proceed with removing that file or folder, is to open another separate file in another folder, ie a photo, or video or document. Once a unrelated file is accessed, and closed, I can proceed to delete the folder or file I originally was unable to do.

I'm sure if this could be easily fixed, someone would have chimed in. Has anyone any other diagnostic solution or better yet thoughts on resolution?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 01 November 2017 - 09:19 AM

Possibly Pertinent.

Louis

#10 CorruptCoW

CorruptCoW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2017 - 01:52 PM

Thank you Louis ...

I read carefully the information in the link you provided, but was unable to see a link between the issues identified in that post with mine. Maybe I'm not seeing what you"re seeing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users