Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I overclocked my CPU, reverted, and now I知 having random BSODs whenever I idle.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DanR531

DanR531

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:18 PM

Hi there, everybody! So, like many of you here, I imagine, I’m suddenly only here because I got a problem too big for me or my tech people to get a grip on. What I’ve got going doesn’t seem to be causing harm, and to my untrained eyes, isn’t a problem per se, but I do have concerns over it.

Before anything else, for the sake of knowledge, here's my PC specs:

Internal Hardware
Motherboard : MSI 970A Gaming Pro Carbon
CPU : AMD FX-8320
CPU Cooler : Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
RAM : G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2X8GB)
GPU : SAPPIRE Radeon RX 480
Internal Storage : Western Digital Caviar Blue 2TB
SSD : ADATA Premier SP550 240GB
PSU : EVGA 600B
Disc Drive : Samsung Super-WriteMaster SH-S223 DVD Reader
Wireless Card : Rosewill RNX-AC1300PCE
Case : DIYPC Gamemax Full Tower (Black)
Operating System : Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

External Hardware
Left Monitor : Dell E176 17" (1280 X 1024)
Center Monitor : LG 22M38A 22" (1920 X 1080)
Right Monitor : Dell E228 22" (1680 X 1050)
External Storage : Seagate Expansion 3TB
Keyboard : Tecknet Kraken 3 LED Gaming Keyboard
Mouse : Tecknet Kraken 3 LED Gaming Mouse
Speakers : Logitech Z200 Stereo Speakers
Microphone : Blue Yeti (Silver)
Webcam : Logitech HD Pro C920

I figure most of that won’t be useful, but just in case, I’m laying it all out here. My drivers are up to date. I virus-scan weekly, I defrag constantly, and my computer is very well-taken-care-of.

Now, it’s story time.

So, the AMD FX-8320- my CPU, is essentially just an underclocked 8350. The 8350 outputs at 4GhZ, and the 8320 does 3.5 GhZ. Because the Gamemax is a wide-open case with fans on all sides and excellent airflow, I dusted my PC clean last Saturday night.

All the online stuff I've read says that it's safe to do this, and I have a motherboard designed to overclock as well as a high-grade cooler- not to mention testimonials that upgrading the 8320 into an 8350 is safe with an extra cooler, so. I decided to go into the BIOS and overclock my 8320 to 4GhZ, to match the 8350- essentially making it an 8350. I did not do this incrementally or with very much attention to anything but setting the core speed to what I wanted- I just changed the settings once and went to boot. I haven’t overclocked ever before this.

Initially, it was very smooth, and it still was, the whole way through. My performance was thanking me for it, the PC wasn't running hot (as far as I can feel), and my framerate in every game and general speed have jumped up a great deal without hindrance or lag. Even setting it up was easier than I thought- the BIOS for this motherboard has a section entirely for overclocking, because MSI just knows what I'm going in there for.

The problem is, I'm getting random, periodic blue screens, followed by a restart. This is a link to what I see when that happens: https://imgur.com/OVSnsa8. Doesn't look like anything serious to me, but my computer is crashing. The only consistency I’ve found is that they happen when I leave the PC idle, because it doesn’t ever crash in active use. I had it happen once while I was sleeping Saturday night, four more times yesterday, once last night, once while I was going to college this morning, once while I went to get lunch, and again when I just went to take a break about an hour ago.

I’ve returned the CPU to stock output in the BIOS to see if that would fix the bluescreens. It didn’t. I tried resetting the BIOS software-side. That didn’t work. I tried updating the BIOS, but it’s still crashing. I suspect it might have something to do with my power supply, because 600W sounds low, and every other part is overqualified for this kind of light overclocking. But it shouldn’t, because I reverted it back, right? Right?

Again, they only happen when I’m not using my machine. I can use my PC for hours on end and leave for four minutes, but it crashes during those four. I’ve even timed a few of them to confirm that it does indeed crash after only minutes of inactivity, but won’t crash when KB/M input is being sent to it.

Additionally, I've found out that it takes the exact same amount of idle time every time it crashes too. 4 minutes and 2 seconds- no more, no less. Every single crash. The crashes themselves seem harmless. It bluescreens, then restarts, and when I use it, it’s fine. The only other data I have is “what failed” in the BSOD screen: asmtxhci.sys. I googled that and it lead me to update my BIOS. That didn’t help me.

The help I need is for someone more professional than me to take a look at the possibilities, not just at what's causing the bluescreens, but also at what other opportunities for safe overclocking I have at my disposal. Because I know for a fact, my machine can overclock- it’s just fighting me. All I know for sure is that my attempt to overclock the PC caused this to start, because it was doing nothing like this before, and very consistently doing it since. And, since I have cleaned it and it does show a blue screen, it’s probably not related to heating.

I guess my one other question might be- if this is happening no matter what (which it looks like it is), does it matter what my clock is set to? If my PC is gonna crash regardless AFTER four minutes and 2 seconds of idling, but run perfectly until that happens, will it make a difference if I overclock? Is the core problem, essentially, even relevant to the overclock?

I want to crank this machine to some real potential, because I don't see myself upgrading for a long time. But, of course, I want to do it safely, and that means I'd feel a lot safer with people smarter than me on the case. I’ll update this with any new information as it comes around.

Thanks for reading, and I appreciate your help!

UPDATE: I've tried updating all my motherboard's drivers, including asmtxhci.sys, the driver for the ASMedia USB 3.x XHCI Controller and the listed reason for the BSODs. Now all drivers are up to date. No change.

Edited by DanR531, 18 September 2017 - 10:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 19 September 2017 - 05:55 AM

You relate that the memory dumps blame asmtxhci.sys - your ASMedia USB 3 driver. 

As the drivers were updated, the most likely problem here is the controller itself.

I would suggest first testing it with nothing connected to the USB 3 ports to see if that helps.

I'd also disconnect anything that's connected to the USB 3 outputs on the motherboard (as the cable from that is a possible issue).

Then, if that doesn't help, then disable the ASMedia USB 3 and XHCI support in the BIOS to see if that helps.

Beyond that, Please run this report collecting tool so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/
NOTE:  On problem systems it can take up to 20 minutes for the log files to complete.  Please be patient and let it run.

If you still have problems with it running, there's an alternate tool here (direct download link):  https://github.com/blueelvis/BSOD-Inspector/releases/download/1.0.5/BSODInspector-1.0.5.exe

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR, .7z or other compression utilities. 
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users