Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Image question

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 bruinator

bruinator

• Members
  • 501 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 18 September 2017 - 06:22 PM

For those of you who have used win 10 imaging and restore option, does it work well or would you recommend a third party software? thx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,828 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 06:51 PM

Third party, not because of performance issues but because it's being removed as of Version 1709.

Edited by britechguy, 18 September 2017 - 06:59 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 501 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:24 PM

Thx Brian. Could you recommend a good 3rd party option for it plz. 

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,828 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:36 PM

There are several, all of which are free for home use:

1. Macrium Reflect
  2. AOMEI Backupper
  3. EaseUS ToDo BackUp
  4. Paragon Backup & Recovery

and there are others.  I use Macrium, but I do not think that it's the most user friendly for those who don't already understand the structuring of a disc drive.  It's excellent at what it does, though.

It's worth trying different options and seeing which user interface suits you best.

You should look at these

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 501 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 08:13 PM

There are several, all of which are free for home use:

1. Macrium Reflect
  2. AOMEI Backupper
  3. EaseUS ToDo BackUp
  4. Paragon Backup & Recovery

and there are others.  I use Macrium, but I do not think that it's the most user friendly for those who don't already understand the structuring of a disc drive.  It's excellent at what it does, though.

It's worth trying different options and seeing which user interface suits you best.

You should look at these

I will. Thx Brian. You are a very nice guy. :)

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,649 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 08:37 PM

I would also add that both Aomei and Easeus allow you to also do file/folder backups along with image backups. Easeus is the most intuitive because you can select your files/folder to backup in one screen vs Aomei which requires to pick your files and folders one at a time.

#7 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 3,693 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 19 September 2017 - 09:34 AM

bruinator:

I use both Macrium Reflect  (MR) and Easeus Todo Backup Home (ETBH), alternating weekly system images of my two computers between the two programs.

I find MR to be a bit faster, but as Brian pointed, the user interface is a bit "busy" and it can intimidate less knowledgeable users.  I work with a lot of senior citizens here, helping them with their computer issues, and I always recommend ETBH to them because the ETBH interface is so "easy" to understand and use.

Just my two cents, and not the official position of Bleeping Computer.

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Member of the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,828 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:57 AM

Jumping back in, the ability to do separate file/folder backups is, to my mind, a honkin' big plus!

What I routinely recommend people do is to keep a full system image backup, but where the frequency of that backup is largely driven by changes to the operating system (e.g., when the Windows 10 version number changes or some high priority security patch is made) itself or additions of software that would be a grand PITA to replicate.   Between those system image backups (which, if you so choose, you could do monthly rather than having an "as needed" protocol) you still want to be keeping a frequent backup of your user data.

I'm big on Windows 10's built-in file history utility for the latter purpose, but, when you're doing a system image backup paired with a separate user data backup just before upgrading Windows 10 versions or doing a clean install of Windows 10 for whatever reason it's easier to restore from a straight user data backup that does not support versioning (as File History does) when it's a "one time restore" just to get everything back on to the computer.

This is something worth considering when making your choice.

~ Austin O'Malley

#9 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 501 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:13 PM

Jumping back in, the ability to do separate file/folder backups is, to my mind, a honkin' big plus!

What I routinely recommend people do is to keep a full system image backup, but where the frequency of that backup is largely driven by changes to the operating system (e.g., when the Windows 10 version number changes or some high priority security patch is made) itself or additions of software that would be a grand PITA to replicate.   Between those system image backups (which, if you so choose, you could do monthly rather than having an "as needed" protocol) you still want to be keeping a frequent backup of your user data.

I'm big on Windows 10's built-in file history utility for the latter purpose, but, when you're doing a system image backup paired with a separate user data backup just before upgrading Windows 10 versions or doing a clean install of Windows 10 for whatever reason it's easier to restore from a straight user data backup that does not support versioning (as File History does) when it's a "one time restore" just to get everything back on to the computer.

This is something worth considering when making your choice.

Thx Brian for the added info. :)

#10 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 501 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2017 - 05:17 PM

Used acronis true image 2018. Worked well and it was easy to use. thx all :)

#11 CBuck

CBuck

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 19 October 2017 - 03:54 PM

I'm one of those elderly folk who thought I had Macrium (v7 Home Free) cracked, but now I've run out of disk space. I thought it would automatically delete older differential files and consolidate to make room, but apparently my settings weren't doing that. Then I read somewhere that if you change settings within a backup period, you can confuse the program. At this point I'm trying to manage the disk space but apparently Home doesn't do that from within Macrium. Can I simply delete the entire backup and let Macrium start over? Or will that confuse some log file that won't be able to find the files it's supposed to reference? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Craig

#12 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:29 PM

Hi Brian, (System Image) not removed as such, just deprecated, like cmd prompt, in anniversary, (and we all know how that went). Still there, as of the moment, and still working well as far as we know, I used it recently to image V 1709. No doubt time will tell, many prefer the third party utils, still I hear there is resistance within MS to removing it entirely.. for the moment it is still going strong.

Edited by jenae, 19 October 2017 - 07:30 PM.

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,828 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:14 PM

Hi Brian, (System Image) not removed as such, just deprecated, . . . for the moment it is still going strong.

Indeed, I had misread the table regarding removed versus deprecated on this page regarding Version 1709, Fall Creators Update:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4034825/features-that-are-removed-or-deprecated-in-windows-10-fall-creators-up

where System Image Backup (SIBSolution is noted as being deprecated and the recommendation from Microsoft is:

We recommend that users use full-disk backup solutions from other vendors.

Given that many third-party tools are much more user-friendly (and I like EaseUS best in the user-friendliness arena and Macrium in the "tech geek configurability" arena) I'm personally recommending that people make the transition.  The fact that EaseUS lets you take full system images and separate user data backups is a big, big plus.  The choice is, of course, up to the individual.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users