Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange behavior in Win7 & mysterious logical HD

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PieLam

PieLam

• Members
  • 241 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:19 PM

Hi all

I have a desktop PC that I built a little over 2 years ago. It's an Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0 Motherboard, Win7 of course. This PC has 4 physical HDs (including 1 SSD),  2 optical drives, 1 4gb Flash Drive that I keep plugged in for easy BIOS upgrades & whatever… Just let me know if you need more info, I'm familiar with speccy.

This morning, I was finally able to (it seems gone anyway) rid myself of the amazingly annoyance called "Chromium". I'd already tried to get rid of it by using: Revo Uninstaller, Control Panel uninstaller, ADWcleaner, and Malwarebytes' anti-spyware remover. Chromium was not found in either of the uninstallers (naturally). However ADWcleaner, and Malwarebytes' anti-spyware did find & clean some other nasties, but not Chromium.  Chromium persevered despite repeated attempts to remove it.  At first, I didn't even know what Chromium was. I found out more about it thanks to Google. Later I found out how to remove Chromium. (Just delete the Chromium  folder.)

I'm quite proud of the fact that I was able to remove Chromium. I was just about to call on my beloved friends at BC as they have helped me so much in the past.

Now, I have a couple of other issues that I've had for a while, but chose to ignore. After all, these 2 don't seem to affect much of anything, but you never know when it comes to crapware!  :)

These 2 issues therefore, are more of a mystery as I can't explain them at all, maybe they are infections, I don't know.  I'm hoping to get these mysteries solved…

Issue #1:

• When I'm in Win Explorer, if I right click on any HD and then select Properties, instead of getting the properties for that particular HD (either physical or logical) Win Explorer stops suddenly and I'm back to my desktop., no error just back to the DT. Win Explorer is no longer highlighted in the taskbar.
  • If I restart Win Explorer however, and If I right click on an Optical drive, this time, I get an error message stating that Win Explorer has stopped working. When I click <OK> I'm back to the DT again.
  • If I do the same thing on my 4gb Flash Drive the same exact thing happens as if it were a HD.
  • If I do the same thing on my Photosmart Plus B209a-m (192.168.1.137) [HP printer] Win Explorer acts normally. I get the properties for this device. Win Explorer keeps running like it's supposed to.
  • ???????

Issue #2:

I have 1 SSD & 3 physical HDs on my PC.  These drives I've installed previously myself.

However, there exists 1 logical HD (D:) which I have no idea as to when & how it appeared on my system. This drive has been  there a good while as I was afraid if I did too much to it , I would mess-up Windows or worse have an unbootable PC. Thinking that this might be the result of some root kit thing, I've run several anti-root-kits, but none of them returned any positives. I know I used Malwarebytes' anti-root-kit, but I'm not which others I used..,  I just know I tried several others to no avail.

I've included 2 pics that I hope will be helpful. Issue #1 occurs in either in My Computer or in Win Explorer.

Anyone have a clue or an explanation as to what's happening here?

Attached Files

Edited by PieLam, 18 September 2017 - 05:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:37 PM

if you open "computer management" then select "drive management" in the tree on the left panel.

check what physical drives you have listed and I'll bet you'll find a drive that's been partitioned into 2 drives.

#3 PieLam

PieLam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:58 PM

You're right!  The partition is named "system reserved" & is 100mb capacity.

My SSD shows 111.69gb. I suppose this logical partition then is normal?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 06:10 PM

Info on System Reserved Partition

Louis

#5 PieLam

PieLam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2017 - 09:01 AM

Thanks for that link, Louis! It answered everything I was wondering about (at least the mysterious logical drive). It's kind of a relief KNOWING that this is not a form of some sort of Crapware!  I'll just chalk it up to another thing I dislike about Win. (There are many others, but I still use it, just begrudgingly)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users