Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Brand new pc overheating like crazy

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 meesert

meesert

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 18 September 2017 - 03:58 PM

Dear reader,

I just finished my first pc build (so yes I don't have a lot of experience) and it is overheating like crazy.

Everything seems to work fine. I followed a instruction video on youtube. the pc starts up and everything is running. However the moment I start a game (Overwatch for example) the vans start going crazy and the videocard overheats untill the point the computer shuts itself down. This happens within 10 minutes. Once the screen goes black both the van of the cpu and the videocard are still going at their max. I checked AMD system monitor and the AMD Ryzen 5, the Radeon RX560 and the 8gb of RAM memory are doing fine while running the game. 

The other parts of my pc are: 

ASRock AB350M motherboard

ev3a 500W power suply 

Both the motherboard and the videocard seem to become very hot very quick, although my suspision is that the videocard starts with overheating.

Like I said everything is working like a charm however when I start a game everyting is going to bleep. Although Hearhstone doesnt make it chrash I can still feel the core of the videocard getter really warm, and any other game i have seems to be enought to make it chrash. One would assume my pc would be able to play them just fine.

Anyone has any idea what could cause this? (other then that they sold me a defect videocard)

Thanks for taking the time to react!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 18 September 2017 - 04:03 PM

Please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

post-33068-0-86653600-1480692866_thumb.j

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot.

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the ADD REPLY or REPLY TO THIS TOPIC button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Louis

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,071 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 18 September 2017 - 04:47 PM

Are your drivers updated?

What case are you using?

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:44 PM

Typically when a new build acts this way it is possible that the heatsink on the cpu is not properly installed.  However we need to determine if it is your video card causing the shutdown or the CPU.  As Hamluis suggested download the speccy program but before you post the specs .. run your game for 5 mins or so (BEFORE IT SHUTS DOWN) ... then exit the game run speccy and give us the information.  Typically if the video card is causing the problem you will simply get strange artifacts on your screen and windows will give you a blue screen dump.  So this leads me to lean towards the CPU since you are getting a complete shutdown.  Also.. it is typical for video cards and cpu fans to ramp up during 3d gaming.  We just need to find out which one is overheating and we can go from there.

#5 adamsleath

adamsleath

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:12 PM

interesting.  ever since i got my laptop ive had the occasional blue screen ....might go a week or two but it does it.

never known what component is causing it.  i tend to think its the graphics card, might even be a motherboard component or ram...who knows.

7970m runs hot >80 under load.  but when the bsod occurs it often is not while the gcard is in use.  i have igpu aswell.  which points to the cpu.  my cpu rarely exceeds the 60's C so im stuffed if i know what the problem is.

----------------------------------------------------

as for your problem....it would be interesting to find out what it is.

i also wonder if it is a video driver problem....?

itll be interesting to see your speccy.   just a thought.  could try downclocking the gpu.  might help.  but wont know until see speccy.

Edited by adamsleath, 18 September 2017 - 07:27 PM.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:41 PM

"...it is possible that the heat-sink on the cpu is not properly installed..."

Folks, would it be better if the end-user powers the computer down, turns the red or black switch to off, checks that any/all heat-sinks belonging to motherboard & video card are properly installed and "bolted down".  Then, power on and test, checking the temps along the way, of course, including during game playing.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:47 PM

That's precisely what should be done first, Roland, you are correct.:)

#8 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 08:33 PM

"...it is possible that the heat-sink on the cpu is not properly installed..."

Folks, would it be better if the end-user powers the computer down, turns the red or black switch to off, checks that any/all heat-sinks belonging to motherboard & video card are properly installed and "bolted down".  Then, power on and test, checking the temps along the way, of course, including during game playing.

I dont know Roland ... you cannot really tell if a Video card's heatsink is ' Installed properly because it is usually put on by the manufacturer and usually with some kind of Thermal Adhesive.. so I do not suggest him checking that at all.  Instead we could find out which compoenent is causing the shutdown by which one is over heating .. most likely in my opinion the cpu ... however I do not suggest that a person new to building pc's start tearing everything down until we get a better idea of what is causing the issue.  It could be the fan on the cpu is not working properly too but I'd like to know if we are dealing with the GPU or CPU .. but hey ... you can tell him to check everything but he may not know what he's looking for .. but  hey .. he can certainly shut it down and get a good look at his handywork .. good luck.

I love the posts where people so quickly dismiss another poster.  Like I don't know anything about computers.. fine okay I know nothing but I certainly think my process of elimination is better than yours.

#9 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 08:36 PM

That's precisely what should be done first, Roland, you are correct. :)

So do you just follow Roland's posts around and add your 2 cents of nonsensical bias adding nothing to the conversation?  I have been building computers since I was 14... I'm 46 now ..(and I still build computers)... I did it for Gateway .. Compaq   Various other contractual and non cantractual jobs.  I do know a thing or 3 .. but just barely .. thanks for your insight of non insight.

Edited by YeahBleeping, 18 September 2017 - 08:52 PM.

#10 meesert

meesert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2017 - 03:04 AM

Thanks for the replies, when I come home from work this evening I will upload the speccy.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2017 - 03:48 AM

Obtaining or providing system information...should always be the first step...in attempts to prpblem -solve.  Otherwise...all we are doing is throwing out random guesses about what could be wrong...when we live in a universe where just about anything can go wrong, anytime.

Louis

#12 meesert

meesert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2017 - 11:44 AM

So I have the system information and to my suprise it doesn´t really seem like there is a problem with that.....

These stats are taken when the pc is on. The second stats are when im playing OW for about 5 minutes. (copy to clipboard doesnt seem to work)

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 1400 25 °C
14nm Technology
RAM
8,00GB Single-Channel Unknown @ 1197MHz (16-16-16-39)
Motherboard
ASRock AB350M Pro4 (AM4) 26 °C
Graphics
BenQ GW2270 (1920x1080@59Hz)
4096MB ATI Radeon RX 560 Series (Unknown) 26 °C
Storage
223GB KINGSTON SUV400S37240G (SSD) 25 °C
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
AMD Ryzen 5 1400 33 °C
14nm Technology
RAM
8,00GB Single-Channel Unknown @ 1197MHz (16-16-16-39)
Motherboard
ASRock AB350M Pro4 (AM4) 28 °C
Graphics
BenQ GW2270 (1920x1080@59Hz)
4096MB ATI Radeon RX 560 Series (Unknown) 39 °C
Storage
223GB KINGSTON SUV400S37240G (SSD) 27 °C
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

The vans did make more noise then I would have liked but the temperatures seem fine to me. In about 3 more minutes the screen went black and the sound dissapeared. The pc is still on at this time, however I don´t get any visuals. The game itself is also running really well. Really strange indeed.

#13 meesert

meesert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:25 PM

I tested again and what did suprise me was that the amd radeon rx 560 GPU seems very unstable in the AMD system monitor. While playing the memory speed seems to go all the way from 20% to 80% and back again regularly. The van also becomes active very fast. It looks like the GPU thinks its under allot of pressure when in reality thats not the case (as suggested by the temperature readings) I also reinstalled the driver but with still the same results.

Edited by meesert, 19 September 2017 - 02:18 PM.

#14 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,071 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:27 PM

Did you reinstall your drivers?

Thats what I would do first then work my way out.

Edited by MadmanRB, 19 September 2017 - 12:28 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#15 meesert

meesert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2017 - 02:13 PM

Did you reinstall your drivers?

Thats what I would do first then work my way out.

First I installed the recomended amd drivers, after that i installed the newest drivers, when that didnt improve anyting i installed the reccomended again. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users