Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows outside of viewable area

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 richardrhuber

richardrhuber

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:14 AM

I have a stock dell laptop with windows 10 and native driver (never updated or changed).  The resolution is set to the recommended 1366X768.  When I maximize a window it sets to the viewable area perfectly with no issues and when I snap to the side it takes up half the screen as expected.  However, when I resize a window I am able to drag it off the screen in any direction along with my mouse pointer.  I have verified there is only one monitor detected and this laptop has never been hooked up to an external monitor, tv or other device.  I have checked ever imaginable setting possible and nothing fixes the issue.  Does anyone have any ideas.  The only thing I haven't tried is to reinstall the video driver however I don't think that is the issue as the laptop seems to know what the screen size is as it maximizes correctly.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 884 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:04 PM

I would go to the dell website and download the most current video driver.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2017 - 09:30 AM

If this is driver related you should be able to substantiate this by booting into Safe Mode to see if the problem persists there.  Safe Mode does not use the manufacturer's graphics driver, it uses a native Windows 10 driver.  The resolution of this driver is poor compared to the manufacturer's, because of this the graphics will appear similar to newspaper comics.  But if the graphics issue doesn't continue in Safe Mode this will point toward a driver issue.

How to start Safe Mode in Windows 10

Press the Windows key windows-key.png  and the R key to open the Run box.

Type msconfig in the Run box and click/tap OK.  This will open System Configuration.

Click/tap on the Boot tab, then click/tap on Safe boot.

Click/tap on Apply, then OK.

Important:  Once you have set the computer to boot into Safe Mode it will continue to do this until you go back to System Configuration,open the Boot tab and remove the check from Safe boot.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 richardrhuber

richardrhuber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2017 - 01:36 PM

I went on to the dell website and found the updated driver based on the service tag, downloaded and installed with no change.  I also booted into safe mode and confirmed the issue doesn't happen with the MS native video driver; you can't move windows around in safe mode but I confirmed I couldn't move my mouse pointer off the screen.  I have tried to find a way to set the video driver back to factory defaults in case I hit a setting somewhere but couldn't find a factory reset.

Any other troubleshooting ideas?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2017 - 01:47 PM

You can do a System Restore to revert the driver back to the one which worked.

Press the Windows key and the R key to open the Run box.

When the Run box opens copy and paste rstrui.exe in the Run box, then press OK.

When System Restore opens tap/click on Next.  You will need to select a restore point prior to the date your problem started.  You will see a check box in the lower left portion of the page for Show more restore points to see more restore point options.

Follow the prompts to complete the system restore.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 richardrhuber

richardrhuber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2017 - 01:58 PM

Sorry I outwitted myself; much thanks for the quick responses.  The problem was due to my misunderstanding of how Windows 10 snaps to grid works and just hadn't noticed before.  When you drag a window over but not far enough over to snap (where the mouse is touching the end of the screen) and let go your window hangs off the screen until you grab it and pull it back.  If you drag to the right you lose your maximize/minimize buttons; well I knew how to drag the screen back I thought there was something wrong with the video card not that this was normal behavior.

In addition although I can't be certain now; I thought the mouse was going way off the screen as I couldn't see it anymore.  Either I was wrong or the video driver upgrade/update fixed that problem.

Regards,

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2017 - 02:00 PM

What ever it was I'm glad that it's resolved. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users