Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP G6-1220sa Caps Lock Flash

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 DAZZAROONEY

DAZZAROONEY

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 18 September 2017 - 09:49 AM

Hi.

My G6-1220sa has a caps lock flash code of "1" flash. According to HP website, this is a fault with the CPU.

The CPU in it is an AMD A8-3500M. I looked on Ebay to find a replacement but couldn't find one. However I have found an AMD A8-4500M with the same socket. I have ordered it and just hope it is compatible with my lappy. Do you reckon it will be ok?

Can anyone help?

Has anyone had experience of a "1" flash caps lock code too?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 873 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:23 PM

did you pull the chip and reseat it, sometime that's all it is.

#3 DAZZAROONEY

DAZZAROONEY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2017 - 07:35 AM

did you pull the chip and reseat it, sometime that's all it is.

I didn't. Stupid aint I?

#4 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 873 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 19 September 2017 - 10:03 AM

make sure if you pull it that you place new thermal paste on the heatsink, you may create thermal problems if you don't.

#5 DAZZAROONEY

DAZZAROONEY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2017 - 07:24 AM

Well after doing some investigation, I have found out that the AMD A8-4500 will NOT work in my laptop due to the socket. My old CPU is an FS1, while the new CPU is an FS1r2 which according to what I read is not backward compatable. Grrrrrrrrr.

So now I'm thinking about swapping the motherboard with an identical one with the CPU included.

One question............I cloned my hard drive before the laptop packed up, can I plug this drive into my new motherboard and it will work as before with no problems?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 21 September 2017 - 02:33 PM

The clone...reflects the drivers from the motherboard which you intend to replace.  There is no reason to expect a drive reflecting such...to work properly with a different motherboard.  It may, it may not...but I would not expect it to work without problems.

Louis

#7 DAZZAROONEY

DAZZAROONEY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2017 - 02:57 PM

The clone...reflects the drivers from the motherboard which you intend to replace.  There is no reason to expect a drive reflecting such...to work properly with a different motherboard.  It may, it may not...but I would not expect it to work without problems.

Louis

Yes but its the exact same motherboard

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2017 - 09:41 AM

I see...you intend to replace MB and CPU with same.

Did you run the HP Hardware Diagnostics...to confirm your interpretation of a CPU problem?

If the CPU and MB are accurately diagnosed as being the problem...replacing them with same should yield a working system.

Louis

#9 DAZZAROONEY

DAZZAROONEY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2017 - 01:59 PM

I see...you intend to replace MB and CPU with same.

Did you run the HP Hardware Diagnostics...to confirm your interpretation of a CPU problem?

If the CPU and MB are accurately diagnosed as being the problem...replacing them with same should yield a working system.

Louis

I couldn't run the HP Diagnostics because the laptop wont boot up. The only reason I know it's a CPU problem is that the "Caps Lock" was flashing on and off, meaning CPU problem on the HP website.

Edited by hamluis, 22 September 2017 - 04:11 PM.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2017 - 04:24 PM

I have no technical skills/expertise/training...but the reality is that the CPU would be the last item that I would consider as the source/cause of system problems.  Just my opinion.

FWIW.

The opinions here of others should carry far more weight concerning hardware matters...than mine.

In your situation, it would come down to how much confidence I had in the error code system used by HP.

I would bear in mind that a failing CMOS/RTC battery...can make it appear that all sorts of things are wrong with hardware components...when there is nothing wrong.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 22 September 2017 - 04:24 PM.

#11 DAZZAROONEY

DAZZAROONEY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2017 - 03:34 PM

Just to let everyone know, I changed the CPU and my laptop is working perfect again. I did not need to reactivate or anything. The only processor I could get with the same socket is an AMD A6-3400m, but it works perfect. So glad I'm up and running again. The one flash on the caps lock was spot on, I was worried the motherboard was fried.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,395 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:39 AM

Glad you resolved it, feedback appreciated.

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users