Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bored

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 18 September 2017 - 09:37 AM

Hello Everyone,

I'm a Linux user and haven't used Windows OS in a long time and I have nothing against Windows OS I just tried Linux one day and started using it instead of Windows OS.

I was bored the other day and decided to install Windows 7 on one of my many desktop computers which are just sitting on a shelf not being used.

From start to finish install and all updates and whatever else kept me busy off and on for a half of day which was OK as I'm old and retired.

I must say that the Windows 7 install and updates with all update roll ups etc went very well and all is working well.

I figured I can benefit by having Linux and Windows 7 as there are some things that Windows OS seems to do better than Linux and yes I know OMG.

I figure since Windows 7 is supported until January 2020 and since I still have the Windows 7 DVD why not use it.

Perhaps the best of both worlds.

The Toolman

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,392 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 18 September 2017 - 09:41 AM

I love windows 7....i put it on a brand new build this past spring,

it is my main desktop computer that i use,

i dont plan on upgrading till support ends

#3 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,265 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:09 AM

Hey mikey11,

I would see no reason to upgrade if Windows 7 is doing what you need to accomplish as it is a good OS.

I to will keep Windows 7 until support ends.

The Toolman

Edited by The-Toolman, 18 September 2017 - 03:47 PM.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#4 michael17

michael17

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 20 September 2017 - 03:37 AM

My computer also runs Windows 7, and I don't have an upgrade plan too.

#5 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,265 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2017 - 11:37 AM

Windows 7 may be the last Windows I use although I do have computers with Windows 8 and Windows 10 installed not being used setting on a shelf.

I have tried Windows 8 and Windows 10 and don't know if I like either of them enough to use and will probably give Windows 8 a shot when Windows 7 reaches EOL.

#6 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,265 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2017 - 09:10 AM

Well Windows 7 seems to be working well and although it isn't Linux it is still a damn good OS.

I'll keep it around until end of life as I do have a lot of Windows OS software and also know enough Windows users where having Windows 7 will benefit me when doing their repairs and fixes.

I hadn't realized how much Windows habits and things I have forgotten not using Windows OS in a long while but was able to pick them back up without problems.

The Toolman :)

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,080 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 22 September 2017 - 10:13 PM

Don't feel too bad about Win 7, I have a laptop with Win 8 and Ubuntu.

I hate installing and setting up a Whingedos machine, and please don't get me started on their updates.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 23 September 2017 - 06:19 PM

Agreed Nick, I would say that updates in Linux are generally much easier to do than in Windows and if you have to do a complete install you can download a pretty well up-to-date ISO.

Last month I had to replace the hard drive in my Win 7 laptop. Even though I had SP1 it still left 189 updates to do. Pain.

Chris Cosgrove

#9 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,265 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:00 PM

Yep Linux installs for me have been a breeze without issues usually.

Windows 7 complete install and updates etc does take a long time.

The Toolman

#10 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,999 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 27 September 2017 - 07:42 PM

Post #5, while as a user of 8.1 (part time (80% right now), linux mint at other times (20% or so but rising)) I think 8.1 is ok, and is definitely better than 10 as you still have relative control of your own system through blocking unwanted updates, you as a windows 7 lover might not be too keen on it. Worse though, windows 8.1 will, according to ms at present, only be supported for another 3 years beyond when windows 7 gets it's last security update. Might be best to see about a full switch to linux, except an offline machine to handle any windows only programs, just before 7's last update is released.

Post #7, I've definitely found that even on a linux system running off a USB stick setting up a number of my mroe critical programs is rather quicker to do than on windows, and this is without even getting into the speed that a terminal based method could probably give if I knew how to do the same things through there as I did in the linux mint GUI.

Edited by rp88, 27 September 2017 - 07:42 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#11 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,265 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2017 - 08:52 PM

Hey rp88,

I have no real complaints with Windows OS as I find some things I do work better using Windows OS.

I still have a Windows XP desktop computer loaded to the max with cool software and of course it never sees an internet connection.

I will probably give Windows 8 a look at one of these days in the near future as it kind of seems to be a waste having a brand new desktop computer with Windows 8 on and not using it even though it was free to me.

I'm still really uncertain about Windows 10 as I just don't care for not being able to have control of how and what it wants to update plus I hate all of the information leaching it does.

I believe Microsoft installs all of the information leaching updates that Windows 10 has onto Windows 7 / Windows 8 / 8.1 from what I have read although I believe that these can be removed on Windows 7 / Windows 8 /8.1 I may be wrong.

I've been using Linux since 2014 and for what I need to accomplish on a computer Linux works well although this isn't always the case for others.

I use a lot of old computers some as old as 2006 and Linux has always installed / updated and works OOTB with very little software needing to be installed from software repository.

Yep for now Linux and Windows on different desktops gives me the best of both worlds.

Who knows I may be bored again one day and tear apart the Apple IMAC All In One to find out why it doesn't power on. (another free one)

Life is Good.

Toolman :)

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 27 September 2017 - 09:13 PM

I found Windows 8.1 pretty much unusable until I installed Classic Shell and spent time tweaking it.

http://www.classicshell.net/

And yes, Windows Updates suck.

#13 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,265 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2017 - 09:42 PM

Hey JohnC_21,

The biggest adjustment for me and Windows 8 / 8.1 is getting use to the apt panels layout instead of a traditional Windows desktop.

I know it's just a matter of learning by using as to where and how to locate what I'm wanting to find.

"Practice Makes The Master" :thumbup2:

Life is Good.

Toolman :)

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 28 September 2017 - 08:12 AM

Windows 8 was an abomination and was improved somewhat in 8.1. I was in a store when 8 first came out and I couldn't see anything regarding how to shutdown the computer. It took about three or four mouse clicks to shutdown 8.

#15 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,265 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:12 AM

I couldn't see anything regarding how to shutdown the computer. It took about three or four mouse clicks to shutdown 8.

Yep it took me a few tries to figure that one myself.

I think with everything the more one uses the more we learn and that is the case for me and Windows 8 / 8.1 .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users