Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Froze Up

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TylerMN

TylerMN

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 18 September 2006 - 06:01 PM

hey again everybody, i seem to have to post a lot here!

This time it is my dad's work computer, he said he left work one day, with the computer working fine, the next day he came back and the computer's hard drive froze. He called the computer tech with the company and they swapt out the hard drives for him.

For what ever reason, he didnt say why, the tech did not attempt to get the old hard drive working, they just pulled out the old and in the new. He brought home the old one and was wondering if there is anyway to retrieve the information on the drive, to putt on his new drive.

His drive is a Western Digital-

WD400
Enhanced IDE Hard Drive
WD Caviar
40.0 GB

Any ideas? thanks in advanced!

Tyler

Mod Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 18 September 2006 - 06:40 PM.

"I'd take my sweater off but i'm affraid its attached to my skin"- Brain "Family Guy"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rubiconeye

rubiconeye

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 18 September 2006 - 06:48 PM

hi, Tyler,

the tech probably had a good reason for replacing drive, eg, drive not spinning, circuitry blown, whatever,

but if you want you could try and attach it as a 'slave' in the computer and if it works and windows sees files, then they can be removed. remember to adjust jumper settings.

you always ask your dad to ask the tech to elaborate on the fault!

good luck.

#3 Gary335

Gary335

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 18 September 2006 - 07:43 PM

I assume the tech probably had a good reason for replacing the drive, but then again the drive might still be recoverable. On the few details you were able to give its difficult to say for sure.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 18 September 2006 - 10:01 PM

There's an old trick that may work for your dad, place the hdd in a ziplock bag and then put it in the freezer for about an hour. This contracts the disks and allows them to move. This is a short time solution!

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 18 September 2006 - 11:06 PM

If you get it up and running - try http://www.pcinspector.de for some free recovery software.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Gary335

Gary335

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2006 - 11:09 PM

There's an old trick that may work for your dad, place the hdd in a ziplock bag and then put it in the freezer for about an hour. This contracts the disks and allows them to move. This is a short time solution!

I tried that once, but it didn't work for me. :thumbsup:

#7 TylerMN

TylerMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 19 September 2006 - 05:16 PM

Yeah, i heard about the freezing bag trick, my dad said he saw it on google. Unfortunatly i currently dont have a computer that i can plug the drive into. I dont want to use my computer because everytime i do anything out of the norm with that peice of junk something goes wrong.

but i will let him know about ur suggestions and hopefully we can recover some of his data.

Thanks again and i will let u know if i have anyother problems.
Tyler
"I'd take my sweater off but i'm affraid its attached to my skin"- Brain "Family Guy"

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2006 - 08:47 PM

"Unfortunatly i currently dont have a computer that i can plug the drive into"

How about his computer?
That would be logical as he could then just drag the data to the new hard drive if you caan get it working.

Freezing it does sometimes work but then only for a very short time.

There are professional data recovery services that can get the data off the dead drive (including some of the HD manufacturers like WD), but that is very expensive.

I guess it depends on how important the data is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users