Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Users > Public Folder Question

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:25 AM

I was poking around my computer and looked in the Uers > Public folder and saw content listed in two folders that I did not add.  I do have a few different computers on my home network but don't share anything between them.  A while back I know my computer was hacked (hundreds of missing files, others left intact) and I also had my product key for CorelDraw on my computer which I think had been copied and used as a few months ago I got a pop-up msg from Corel accusing me of using pirated software.  I paid for all my Corel software and we resolved that issue.  Anyway, I found some Corel Content (looks like templates mostly) in the Public Document folder.  Also I found my desktop program icons listed in the Public Desktop folder.  Should these be there?  I did not add these items to any folders.  Do I need take any action?  Thanks.  Windows 7 64-bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 18 September 2017 - 01:03 PM

The Public folder was originally a Windows Vista feature, but Microsoft kept this feature in all future versions of Windows.  It’s just a folder that is available to all users on your PC. This feature can be useful if regular users have limited access to certain folders, therefore if two users want to share files, or work together on a certain file, all that they have to do is to move that file into the Public folder.

Posted Image

#3 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 02:28 PM

I'm the only user here so it's not necessary.  Is it safe to delete the content of the folders?  Thanks.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 18 September 2017 - 02:40 PM

Info.

Louis

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:13 PM

I'm the only user here so it's not necessary.  Is it safe to delete the content of the folders?  Thanks.

Without knowing what you want to delete i cannot advice you to do so.

Posted Image

#6 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2017 - 12:09 PM

Five Folders:  Bitmap Patterns, Image Lists, Photo Frames, Templates, and Vector Patterns.  Inside are templates for my graphics program, CorelDraw X6.  Most of the templates are for Photo-Paint, which is included with the program, and I do not think I have ever fired up that app as I use another program for photo editing.  There are also some Graphics templates for a business card, a restaurant menu, etc.

The other folder is Public Desktop, and it lists all my desktop program icons.

I mentioned that this computer was hacked over a year ago and I didn't discover the extent of the theft until very recently.  Hundreds of files were stolen.  I am a music teacher and whoever hacked me was very selective to only take files that would interest someone learning rock guitar.  A few months ago I got a pop-up msg from Corel accusing me of using pirated software.  I purchase all my CorelDraw software from the corporate store.  We straightened that out.  Then I remembered that I had my product key stored on my hard drive and it was missing.  I figure that whoever hacked me stole the code and perhaps moved these files into the public folder area for easier retrieval?  Is that possible?  I definitely did not add these files to the Public Folders.

Are these safe to delete? 

Thanks for the info, Hamluis.

Edited by LittleGreenDots, 19 September 2017 - 12:10 PM.

#7 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2017 - 03:12 PM

You should only delete folders that programs don't use. 

Don't delete icons or you will lose your Desktop icons.

Posted Image

#8 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2017 - 11:32 AM

I don't want to delete any folders, only files or objects that really do not belong there.  I was hacked and I want to find out if these items have anything to do with that hack.  As I told you the hacker stole my product key for CorelDraw and I find it odd that these templates for the program and objects associated with PaintShop Pro (a program I have never even opened) are sitting in public folders.  Why are my desktop icons sitting in a folder in the public folders?  I have another Windows 7 laptop and I don't have any document content at all, and there is not a folder for Pubic Desktop. 

I want to KNOW what happened.  Please educate me.  And thanks.  I really do appreciate it. 

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 20 September 2017 - 11:43 AM

Sounds to me as if you should have posted in the Am I Infected forum...rather than Win 7.  Your suspicions/issues are not likely to be either verified or refuted in this forum.

Hackers are a malware issue and the personnel in the malware forums may be able to assure you.

Louis

#10 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2017 - 04:13 PM

Some programs use public folder to share its icons and folders between computer users.

Posted Image

#11 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2017 - 03:33 AM

I ran the computer through a thorough battery of tests here and it's clean.  I want to understand what happened and if those objects serve no purpose, and they can be safely removed, I want to delete them.  I do not share anything between my two computers.

Since you won't answer my questions, let's close this thread.  Thanks anyway.

#12 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,693 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 21 September 2017 - 03:59 AM

Since you won't answer my questions, let's close this thread.

No-one is refusing to answer questions. With the general information we have, the most that can be said as yet is that some programs normally use the Public folder to make common resources available to all user accounts.

If someone who is well versed in the inner workings of Corel software reads the topic, they may be able to say for sure whether your configuration is normal, abnormal or varies between installations. We leave topics open so that this may happen given time.

Edited by Platypus, 21 September 2017 - 03:59 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#13 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2017 - 02:38 PM

That will do.  I was only getting comments on not to mess with it and I also wanted to learn more about computer processes.

Thanks Platypus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users