Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

UEFI unable to detect windows hard disk.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Mystogan94

Mystogan94

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 17 September 2017 - 10:33 PM

Hi all,

i've experienced a problem lately, i'm going to explain to you. 

firstly, a week ago, i experienced an error, which shows "Windows unable to display security and shutdown options." which is as shown below.

hqdefault.jpg

However, at this time, i still am able to boot up to windows, though at a considerably slow speed, i am able to boot up. then i ran malwarebytes, and found only a few adware, so i dismissed the possiblilty
of malware causing the problem. then i search online for an answer, in which, for hours the desktop was ok, so i thought the problem was somehow resolved. but then it strikes again. this time, used ms config to boot to safe mode with networking, and used malwarebytes to scan every hard disk partition. turns out clean.

Then i reboot normally, suddenly it wont boot and went to start up repair. which windows was unable to repair anything. then i started memory test, turns up no problem, and then i ran safe mode again and ran <chkdsk /r> again turns out fine. After that, windows, not even safe mode was able to boot up. to make matters worse, my UEFI wasn't able to detect the windows disk drive sata. 

these are my hardware information:

• motherobard:          ASUS Z170M-PLUS.
  • ram:                        CORSAIR Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz PC RAM 8GB X2
  • Graphic card:          EVGA  NVDIA GEFORCE GT970
  • Processor:              INTEL I5  (not I7, my mistake)
  • HDD 1:                   SEAGATE 500GB (WINDOWS 7 PARTITION)    
  • HDD 2:                   WD 4TB RED BOOK

Then i tried to use Hiren's Boot CD 15.2 to try to use Seagate Disk wizard, to see what's going on with my hard disk, it cannot even start. then i tried to boot up  then i suspect maybe the MBR is faulty or corrupted,
so i tried to use the isolinux 4.05, to see what i can do, but it wont even load. i forgotten what error it says, i will update it.

This is my first post in this forum, please excuse me if i provide any insufficient data or any disrespectful tone. 

i am at my wits end as I've exhausted all my options, please advice, Thank you very much

Edited by hamluis, 18 September 2017 - 07:48 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Disk Management - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 18 September 2017 - 03:30 PM

sounds like your HDD quit working.  

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,475 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 18 September 2017 - 03:47 PM

If the Computer's UEFI does not detect the drive then try a different port but I would suspect that the hard drive has failed as mightywiz posted. You could pull the drive and check it on another computer. 

You probably could not boot Hirens because it cannot boot from a UEFI computer unless you select Legacy/CSM mode in your UEFI settings. See pages 2-44 and 2-45. If you cannot get Hirens to boot using Legacy then download UBCD, burn the iso, and boot to the menu screen. Select Parted Magic. On the desktop select Disk Heath. Run the short and long tests. When downloading click the hard drive icon, not the mirror link.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:17 PM

Please tell us you have been making routine data and OS backups on external media.  If HD imminent failure is a physical one, HD may only have a few spin hours, perhaps less, perhaps more. 

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (sevenforums)

Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup... -- RockE (Windows Secrets Lounge)

#5 Mystogan94

Mystogan94
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:52 PM

Please tell us you have been making routine data and OS backups on external media.  If HD imminent failure is a physical one, HD may only have a few spin hours, perhaps less, perhaps more. 

Of course i did, i store all important media/files on an external hard drive and google drive, bcos of past experiences, i've learnt from my failures... XD

Edited by Mystogan94, 18 September 2017 - 07:53 PM.

#6 Mystogan94

Mystogan94
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:54 PM

That is a reality i'm not willing to accept.... :'(  perhaps i should quit lying to myself

#7 Mystogan94

Mystogan94
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:55 PM

If the Computer's UEFI does not detect the drive then try a different port but I would suspect that the hard drive has failed as mightywiz posted. You could pull the drive and check it on another computer. 

You probably could not boot Hirens because it cannot boot from a UEFI computer unless you select Legacy/CSM mode in your UEFI settings. See pages 2-44 and 2-45. If you cannot get Hirens to boot using Legacy then download UBCD, burn the iso, and boot to the menu screen. Select Parted Magic. On the desktop select Disk Heath. Run the short and long tests. When downloading click the hard drive icon, not the mirror link.

Alright, i will take a look, thanks~~

#8 Mystogan94

Mystogan94
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:53 PM

Alright guys, i've got a professional to test my HDD, it passed away. but now i got a new question, i am currently using a tower that can stack 7 HDD, i planning to buy a 3" mounting kit and put my laptop's 2" SSD into my desktop.

I just want to ask, if i connect an SSD and a HDD to the same motherboard, will there be any side effects like compatibility issues?

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,475 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2017 - 07:37 AM

You can run SSDs and HDDs on the same motherboard as long as your PSU has enough connections.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2086213/ssd-hdd-time.html

#10 Mystogan94

Mystogan94
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 01:00 AM

Hi all,

i've experienced a problem lately, i'm going to explain to you. 

firstly, a week ago, i experienced an error, which shows "Windows unable to display security and shutdown options." which is as shown below.

hqdefault.jpg

However, at this time, i still am able to boot up to windows, though at a considerably slow speed, i am able to boot up. then i ran malwarebytes, and found only a few adware, so i dismissed the possiblilty
of malware causing the problem. then i search online for an answer, in which, for hours the desktop was ok, so i thought the problem was somehow resolved. but then it strikes again. this time, used ms config to boot to safe mode with networking, and used malwarebytes to scan every hard disk partition. turns out clean.

Then i reboot normally, suddenly it wont boot and went to start up repair. which windows was unable to repair anything. then i started memory test, turns up no problem, and then i ran safe mode again and ran <chkdsk /r> again turns out fine. After that, windows, not even safe mode was able to boot up. to make matters worse, my UEFI wasn't able to detect the windows disk drive sata. 

these are my hardware information:

• motherobard:          ASUS Z170M-PLUS.
  • ram:                        CORSAIR Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz PC RAM 8GB X2
  • Graphic card:          EVGA  NVDIA GEFORCE GT970
  • Processor:              INTEL I5  (not I7, my mistake)
  • HDD 1:                   SEAGATE 500GB (WINDOWS 7 PARTITION)    
  • HDD 2:                   WD 4TB RED BOOK

Then i tried to use Hiren's Boot CD 15.2 to try to use Seagate Disk wizard, to see what's going on with my hard disk, it cannot even start. then i tried to boot up  then i suspect maybe the MBR is faulty or corrupted,
so i tried to use the isolinux 4.05, to see what i can do, but it wont even load. i forgotten what error it says, i will update it.

This is my first post in this forum, please excuse me if i provide any insufficient data or any disrespectful tone. 

i am at my wits end as I've exhausted all my options, please advice, Thank you very much

You can run SSDs and HDDs on the same motherboard as long as your PSU has enough connections.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2086213/ssd-hdd-time.html

*UPDATE!*

Hi People, 

First, let me thank all of u guys who've helped me. but i had fixed my problem. the one that is faulty, is actually my SATA cable.

Once i changed that, every is back to normal. The "professional" who said my HDD had died, probably just want me to buy a HDD from him.

Anyways, thank you all for taking time to review my problem!!!

Edited by Mystogan94, 17 October 2017 - 12:22 AM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,475 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 08:22 AM

Thanks for taking the time to post an update. I would never have suspected that error box was due to a faulty SATA cable. Occam's Razor.

#12 Mystogan94

Mystogan94
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 05:29 PM

Thanks for taking the time to post an update. I would never have suspected that error box was due to a faulty SATA cable. Occam's Razor.

Well, during desperate times, we will do everything in our power and check everything we can. luckily for me,  my motherboard box has spare SATAs lying around. so i just used it and it surprised me! XD

#13 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 17 October 2017 - 11:16 AM

I was trying to fix a friend's laptop and ran into a data cable error during BIOS -- I can appreciate OP's situation.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (sevenforums)

Clone or Image often! Backup, backup, backup, backup... -- RockE (Windows Secrets Lounge)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users