Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not able to click the Windows task bar, desktop, alt+tab, ect.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Webbling

Webbling

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 17 September 2017 - 07:43 PM

Hello. I got a new laptop computer Friday afternoon. Everything on it runs beautifully, but I am getting one random problem. When I'm using the laptop, sometimes the Window's task bar and desktop become unresponsive. No error messages pop up. However, I am not able to click anything. I cannot click the Window's start button in the bottom left corner. I cannot click desktop shortcuts. I cannot press alt+tab to switch to a different process. If the problem arises while I am on a Google chrome tab, I am still able to use the internet browser until I minimize it. I've never encountered a problem like this on my desktop computer. I've browsed google for solutions, but cannot find a post on the internet that fits the same criteria as my problem. 

Specs:

CPU: Intel i7-7700HQ @ 2.80 GHz

RAM: 8gb

OS: Windows 10 64-bit (last updated Friday afternoon when I booted up my laptop for the first time)

GPU: GeForce GTX 1050

I am using a Microsoft USB mouse, but the problem arose before I plugged in the mouse for the first time. 

I will be grateful if anyone can supply me with assistance. If you need me to provide any more information just let me know.

EDIT: I installed Classic Shell shortly very shortly after booting the laptop for the first time because I despise Windows 10 control panel layout. I do not have a problem with Classic Shell on my desktop, but I am unaware if it interferes with something on this laptop.

Edited by Webbling, 17 September 2017 - 07:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 17 September 2017 - 08:07 PM

You say you got a new computer, does that mean you're the first owner, that is, you bought a new computer?
Which OP system was there if You bought, ie from which version and to what version You upgraded?
What's current version (Win Key + R => winver => OK)?

#3 Webbling

Webbling
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2017 - 08:51 PM

New computer from manufacturer. i.e. never before used. I didn't pay attention to what version of Windows 10 was already on the computer since Windows updates started immediately. Current version is Windows 10 Version 1703 (OS Build 15063.608).

Edited by Webbling, 17 September 2017 - 08:51 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2017 - 08:59 PM

I would uninstall Classic Shell and see if you have the same problem. If you do, then I would take it back to place of purchase and demand a new computer or refund.

Windows 10 has had a lot of issues regarding the task bar not working and the Start Menu too.

#5 Webbling

Webbling
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2017 - 09:10 PM

I will uninstall it. I don't see returning it as an option because it's clearing a software issue that must have a fix. Is there a better program I can install that gives me a start menu that resembles a Windows 7 start menu? 

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,976 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2017 - 09:16 PM

I use Classic Shell on Windows 8 and have issues. I can't say how it acts on Windows 10. If removing Classic Shell fixes the problem there is another shell (start 10) but I believe it is paid software.

There is an option to reset Windows 10 with the option to keep your data files but any programs you installed would need to be reinstalled. 

Does the problem happen in Safe Mode? 

You can also do a clean boot and see if you get the problem. If it is not longer present then start enabling services and startup items a few at a time until the problem comes back.

Edit: This kind of freezing problem could be a RAM issue. Run memtest for at least 6 passes.

Edited by JohnC_21, 17 September 2017 - 09:17 PM.

#7 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 17 September 2017 - 09:55 PM

My Windows 10 start menu has always worked correctly, also if You want You can to make it very similar to Windows 7 menu or use full screen menu if You want. What the problem, now are also submenus and folders allowed.
And have never had any problems if use both, ie Windows 10 menu and old Classic Shell menu. 
And all other menus have always worked without problems.Have here three very different computers, all have the same Windows 10 x64 Pro, all works as should.
Also, if it is new computer, why should to reinstall. But of course, if there was before for example 1603, then is recommended to reinstall, otherways may some apps not work.
For end, if there are some minimal problems, is possible also reinstal Windows so, that also all settings and installed programs stay as they were. Maybe only some minor registry repairings is needed, for example is needed to repair $Recycle Bin right click submenu, if there were for example CCleaner links or something similar. These will not go back automaticaly. And of corse, some drivers.

Edited by zainmax, 17 September 2017 - 09:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users