Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dead computer, bad power supply?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 trustmaker

trustmaker

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 17 September 2017 - 06:44 PM

One day my Acer Aspire desktop quit starting up. I have many years of experience repairing electronics and computers, but this one has me baffled!

The computer is 10 years old. It seems to "eat" hard drives, as it's now on it's third...

Acer model AST160-UA351H. Running windows XP.

I put it aside for a while, got a "home built" computer running Windows 7, from a diseased relative.

(Another nightmare, but a subject for another post).

My first observations, and information from the web, indicated that I had a bad motherboard.

But now I finally got back to it, Perhaps it's just a bad power supply.

The hard-drive is fine. I'm able to access it using an external hard-drive box.

Just checked the power switch, it is fine.

Power supply is on my work bench. I just tried to fire it up with a paperclip, using the green and black connections on the 20 pin motherboard connector.  

It turns on, hear the whine, fan spins for a few seconds, and then it stops.

Please tell me it's just a bad power supply, as I at my wits end with it!

No voltage on the 12 volt line, as I power it on. It just turns off by itself after a second or two.

I don't want to by a new power supply, until I'm sure this is the problem.

Have some other old PS laying around, but they don't have the same connectors.

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 17 September 2017 - 08:14 PM

Please tell me it's just a bad power supply

It certainly looks that way. I think replacing the PSU is a fair bet, and having a known good PSU is a pretty fundamental basis for any other diagnostics.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users