Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Electronic geek since a teenager

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 trustmaker

trustmaker

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 17 September 2017 - 05:58 PM

Hello, 

Glad to join this forum.

I got into electronics at a very young age, long before everyone had a computer, or the internet (as we know it today).

Started with the Vic 20, Commodore 64. 

I am by no means an "expert", but I'm sure I can contribute, and help others, with what I've learned, over the many years.

I went to school to learn electronics, and hoped to make it my profession.

Started out repairing TV's,VCR's, audio equipment etc. But when it became cheaper to buy new, then have it fixed, my hopes of making "this" my career dissolved, when you could buy a new VCR for $30.

Went on to be a bookbinder at a printing company, for 27 years.

Again, I chose a dying profession, as computers took the place of books, forms, bulk mailing etc, etc.

After 2 years unemployed, (at this point, I was willing dig holes by hand, with a shovel or stock shelves at a supermarket). 

Finally after applying for any job I could do. I got a job as a machinist, with a big company making parts for the aerospace industry. I make parts for airplanes, spaceships, rockets etc. And must be made to very precise specifications.

Not sure why I was chosen for this job, perhaps because I operated large machinery, and just had the knack for troubleshooting, and repairing the machines as well.

Not 2 months into my "new" career. It was discovered that I was born with a heart defect, and I needed open heart surgery. I was given 6 months to live, unless I had the surgery...

Gladly, I had the surgery, and I'm happy to be alive today...

But this only gave me a new lease on life. My prosthetic heart valve will only last 10+ years.

Before I have to have it replaced.

Lesson to everyone. Live every day as though it was your last. Visit your family and friends often, be kind to everyone, and help them with your knowledge whatever you can...

Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 17 September 2017 - 06:42 PM

Welcome to BC !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users