Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 10 Update Black Screen

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 wallyag

wallyag

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 17 September 2017 - 03:30 PM

After auto win 10 update and auto reboot Toshiba Sat will not load Windows on startup, black screen, MS tech support says it is a hardware issue not Win 10 but problem started Immediately after Win 10 auto update. Has anybody has similiar problem after Win 10 update. I now have a broken laptop.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 01:44 PM

Lot's of similar issues.

Do you need to backup your stuff first?  If so, post in the Backup forums for assistance:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/238/backup-imaging-and-disk-management-software/

If you don't need to backup, you can try different repairs of W10 along with hardware diagnostics.
Do you have a copy of Windows 10 on a flash drive/DVD that you can work with?

If not, you can download the Media Creation Tool and the Windows 10 installation media from here:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

When you boot from the media (hold the F12 key down when you first start the computer), accept the first screen.

On the 2nd screen there will be (in the left bottom corner) an option to "Repair This Computer" - select that to run Startup Repair.
Run Startup Repair 3 times - rebooting between each try.

DO NOT go past the 2nd screen or the system will start to install a fresh copy of W10 (and will wipe out your existing data).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 wallyag

wallyag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2017 - 07:27 PM

I have copy of Windows 10 on a flash drive that I have I have tried loading but no i just can't get past the black screen, Microsoft was no help, toshiba was no help and they got for $24 and had me boot w/ different keyssheduled a callback and never called back, noone takes responsibility anymore for their screw ups. The fan keeps running,  hard drive appears to be working but thats it. 

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2017 - 05:09 AM

When you tried loading Windows 10 from the flash drive, at what point do you get the black screen error?
Does the system start to load and then get to a black screen?  If so, what's the last thing you see/do before the black screen?

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 wallyag

wallyag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2017 - 06:30 AM

The laptop does not load anything, black screen with usb drive in place or not, try to start with F2, F12, O, the only thing that happens is the fan keeps cycling on and off. 

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2017 - 06:03 AM

First possibility is a bad video card.  Have you tried hooking the laptop up to another monitor?
Most older Toshiba's have a VGA port on the side, while most newer one's have an HDMI port on the side.

Beyond that, this does sound like a hardware problem.  This is because you can't see anything on the screen.

When the system first boots, the Toshiba logo and the BIOS boot options will show before Windows starts to load - so this isn't just a Windows problem.

Beyond that, I'd suggest posting over in the Internal Hardware forums for some more expert assistance:    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/ 

Edited by usasma, 22 September 2017 - 06:03 AM.

#7 tempcheck

tempcheck

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 23 September 2017 - 03:46 PM

I have exactly this problem on a satellite s50 and it also coincided exactly with the last windows update (creators fall edition)!

However, my experience is slightly different in that after powering up I would see only a black screen (looks to be off, with no cursor), but eventually I would see the login screen (average of about 1.5-2 hours). Once up, the computer ran fine and just as well as pre-update, and there were no issues resuming from sleep.

I tried changing startup options (clean/safe boots weren't much faster), updated drivers (cant access BIOS menu but they look up to date), tried repairing Windows/the Windows update (no joy), but problem persisted. So was also thinking it may be a hardware thing... perhaps a GPU issue or possibly failed SSD drive (although my HDD has plenty of free space). Decided to use last software option of rolling back to previous version of Windows in recovery options (as it was booting in seconds before the update)... Computer has now been on black screen for over 24 hours! 

Question is what is best course of action now? Should I just force shutdown even though it may be doing something, or is it likely in an 'infinite loop'? Difficult to know for sure as cannot see anything on screen.

I have all data I need backed up and have a recovery install on usb, but I can't access the BIOS or any other boot menu so running out of options... anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

#8 wallyag

wallyag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2017 - 03:53 PM

No VGA port and I think if it was a monitor issue I could tell that windows was loading properly but screen is blank, Every time I reboot all that happens is the fan keeps cycling loud and soft, which it never did, occasionally on when high use but never after reboot, plus for all this to happen after a Win 10 auto update and install and reboot, makes me think it had to do with update, of course Microsoft says it wasn't the update. I think I am going to do what I do every 2-3-4 years and that is replace the laptop, I am so ever reluctant to spend more than $400-$500 on a new laptop as I seem to replace them every few years. You obviously are quite knowledgeable in such things computerized, does spending more money 1k + get you a system that will last longer and if so are there a manufacture or brand and model that you would purchase yourself. I have everything else Apple, 2 phones, 2 iPad, but in looking at apple MacBook’s does the price justify the products with latest getting bad reviews and not have a key pad.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,822 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:19 PM

Do you get anything by tapping F2 at boot? This should bring up your UEFI.

Was the computer pre-installed with Windows 10 or another OS?

Does tapping the zero key at boot bring up the option for reset?

Do you need data off the hard drive?

Note: Sometimes F12 for the boot menu needs to be enabled in UEFI/BIOS first. If you can access UEFI make sure QuickBoot or Fastboot is disabled.

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 September 2017 - 08:23 PM.

#10 tempcheck

tempcheck

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2017 - 09:25 PM

HI John - sorry if I'm confusing things by replying on wallyag's thread but none of those alternative bootup options have worked for me - I have tried F1, F12, escape and now the zero keys, and none of them bring up anything... just still a black screen and occasional fan noise (as wallyag described).

I have also tried connecting a screen via HDMI and there was no output to it. I also suspect its update-related as before the update mine was also working perfectly, and even after it I would get this same black screen but after a while an hour or so it would boot up and work normally... Not this time though!

#11 wallyag

wallyag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:49 AM

I tried leaving he laptop on hoping what initially worked for tempcheck would eventually load windows but after 2.5 hrs no such luck.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:14 AM

tempcheck - please start your own topic if you'd like some individual attention for your problem.

wallyag - I've taken to upgrading my laptops several months after each new version of Windows is released (to allow for bugfixes and advances in hardware to catch up with the new OS).
I generally spend between $750 and $1000 (US), but that's just because I opt for the latest hardware.  While I have nothing against Apple (and have installed BootCamp on many Apple systems), I am more comfortable with Windows on a Windows PC.  My current system is a Lenovo Y700, the one before that was a Samsung NP700 (still in use as my Fast Ring Windows Insider system), and before that was a Lenovo t61 (still in use with a friends children).  My wife has been happy with her current Dell, and the Sony VAIO that she had before that.

The fan cycling seems suggestive of an overheating problem.  Have you tried blowing out all the vents with some canned air?  DON'T use a vacuum or an air compressor as they can cause damage to the components inside of the case.  Also, have you considered trying a cooling pad for laptops to help with air circulation?

Edited by usasma, 24 September 2017 - 07:16 AM.

#13 wallyag

wallyag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:10 AM

it does sound like overheating but at this point I checked my records and this laptop is 4 yo so I will buy a new one, thatnks for your help and I will more than likely switch to Lenovo. Thanks again

#14 tempcheck

tempcheck

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 09:58 AM

Sorry usasma - will do. Where do you think the best place for it would be - windows crashes or w10 support?

wallyag, sorry it didn't work out for you but we are not alone... seems to be a lot of people with similar problems with toshibas, eg...

http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-3461519/toshiba-satellite-p50-128-display-force-shut.html

http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-2137665/boot-toshiba-laptop.html

http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-1999667/toshiba-laptop-boot.html

I think upgrading may well be best course of action if you have the money (lenovo seems a good choice - https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/laptop-brand-ratings), but sadly, I don't!

#15 tempcheck

tempcheck

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2017 - 10:08 AM

@usasma ...or internal hardware as you suggested to wallyag?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users