Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flat Screen Monitor causes keyboard corruption

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 listtop

listtop

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2017 - 03:20 PM

Strange as it sounds, I have determined that my Cornea flat screen monitor is causing a keyboard problem. When it is plugged in, the Windows 7 machine types giberish. Replace the monitor and the problem disappears.

My question is, could this be a bad power supply causing this issue? There is nothing to reset on the monitor. The only thing I can do is replace the power supply.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 17 September 2017 - 03:28 PM

Kinda tricky, but maybe try a different monitor of the same wattage, so that you know if it is the monitor or the power supply the problem. Then, if there is no issue with a different monitor of the same power consumption, it means that your computer is fine, but the monitor has a problem. If that is the case, change the monitor. Good luck, friend!:)

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,555 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 17 September 2017 - 06:01 PM

I make no pretense of knowing it all or of having come across every possible problem, I haven't, not by miles, but this is a new one on me.

Text on a screen is simply an array of pixcels which are not switched on if the text is black and in different colours for coloured text. Does anything else get scrambled/distorted on this monitor ?  Given the way that the video signal is processed and produced I would expect other things to be affected. Take a screen shot with some of this scrambled text, paste it into any image editor - if all else fails you have Windows Paint - and save the image then look at it in both your Cornea monitor and the other you have access to.

Another simple test is to connect the monitor to a different computer and see if you get gibberish for the text ouptut there. If you do then there is definitely a problem with the monitor. If it works perfectly on  a different computer then it is time to start looking at the signal chain - the connecting cable, the video card, the computer PSU and the mobo.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2017 - 06:08 PM

As far as I understood, when he connects the monitor to his PC and starts typing on the keyboard, random letters appear instead of the text that should show up. Otherwise, his monitor is fine and not distorted - only in combination with the keyboard does the monitor start displaying gibberish instead of the actual text that was inputted.:)

#5 listtop

listtop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2017 - 06:48 PM

I have determined it is definitely the monitor or it's power supply. I understand any skepticism. It's a new one on me, too. And I am a former sysadmin.

It even affected a separate computer right next to it. It must be putting out a powerful radio wave or something. And only if it is plugged into a computer. I can plug into a computer next to another, type something into Notepad on the separate computer, get gibberish. Unplug it, types fine. It's consistent. Wierd.

I'd like to keep the monitor. The only option left is to replace the power supply, and I don't have one at hand to replace it with.

I was hoping someone with better experience than I could advise.

#6 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2017 - 06:51 PM

If it affects other computers that are not connected to it in any way apart from being in close proximity, the monitor is definitely faulty and your power supply is good. Change the monitor.:)

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 17 September 2017 - 08:08 PM

It is possible that the symptom could be caused by a faulty "power brick" supplying the monitor, which is what I take you to be meaning. Unfortunately the only way to absolutely prove it is to get to try a known good PSU. If it uses a voltage and connector type that has been used for a laptop, if someone has a laptop multi-adapter you might be able to get the right combination using it. (Of course correct voltage is required, higher current rating is fine.)

Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 listtop

listtop
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2017 - 11:32 AM

It turned out to be a defective ac adaptor, power brick, whatever you call it.

Very unusual problem. Did not know adaptors could malfunction and cause that kind of problem.

Thanks for your help.

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 04 October 2017 - 05:08 PM

It certainly is a known issue, glad you got it sorted out!

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users