Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase Template: Replacing Old Desktop--Suggestions Welcome

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Discordant_Note

Discordant_Note

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 17 September 2017 - 01:52 PM

My current desktop is an HP Compaq dx2450 Microtower, with 2.30 Ghz dual processor, and 3 GB of RAM (though only 2.87 of that is usable) and it’s about a decade old or thereabouts.  I know I was lucky to get that amount of time out of it, but I would like to purchase something else that’s reliable.  I’d rather purchase pre-built, and my knowledge of what model to go to is a bit out of date.

I have been looking around, but really need to narrow it down.  I don’t know what types to avoid altogether, and lest I make a terrible mistake, I came here for assistance.  Especially since I'm trying to make a choice sometime in this upcoming week.

Laptop or Desktop?  Desktop (but read further for indecision there, too)

My budget for the new computer is:

I’m not sure what a good one would be for this, so I’ll just say $1000 or less; I suspect with my needs I might need to lower that figure to something like $800, but I really don’t know. 

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? 

This will be my main computer.  The uses will be: Web browsing.  E-Mail, though that’s online.  Watching/streaming movies on Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Turner Classic Movies, or Youtube once I have a system capable of handling the first two.  Basic word processing in either Word or LibreOffice, and perhaps Excel.  Watching movies I’ve saved on my external hard drive.  Very rare video editing with Video To Video Portable.  I transfer files with flash drives.

What software do you intend on using on the computer?

I’ll either stick with a very old Microsoft Office 2000 or completely switch over to either LibreOffice or OpenOffice.  Adobe.  Portable Mozilla Firefox, Portable Google Chrome, Internet Explorer.  Logitech, for the mouse.  Icecream Ebook Reader.  VLC Media Player.  Sumatra PDF.  Video To Video Portable.  A bit of Java, since there are other programs I have that require that.  My antivirus program, and Malwarebytes.  Sometimes Revo Uninstaller and programs like Portable Apps and File Hippo.

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? 

I don’t play any games, so I shouldn’t be taxing the system in that particular manner.

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it?  

Sometimes I might run two programs at the same time, if an antivirus program is doing a scan at that particular hour, when I’m doing something else.  Otherwise, I try not to because it just bogs things down.  If I’m finished with a particular program, then I close it out.  Aside from that, it’s browsing the internet and using either LibreOffice or Word at the same time.

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer? 

Not really, no.  I tend to store anything that could take up space on an external hard drive, so I don't run out of room.

Will you be overclocking?  No.

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices? 

Western Kentucky.  I’ll likely try Best Buy, Amazon, Wal-Mart, QVC, or a local, smaller store that I know of for whatever suggestions I’m given.  I can also try Newegg or Tiger Direct.

How many monitors are you planning to use?  One.

Do you need peripherals? OS?

I don’t need a monitor, or any other peripherals.  As for the OS, I am seeking something compatible with Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit, since that’s a personal preference for me.   I wish to stick with that until it ends support.  It’s always behaved best with all of my programs.  Or in lieu of that, I would even just be happy with a model that can be dual booted to include 7.

I only need the desktop tower itself, which I hope would include an optical drive.  While having Windows 7 pre-installed would be nice, I can easily purchase an OEM myself for Windows 7 Professional 64 bit and install it if the system allows it.  I might need an i5 or i7 processor for that, but I’m not certain at all when it comes to that part.

Any particular reason why you are upgrading?

The nvidia for this one (NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430) went into end of life a while back.  This current computer is incapable of trying to stream Hulu or Netflix, and I also just feel like it’s time for an upgrade after a decade with this one.  A test of GPU-Z proved it was incapable of rendering, which I had suspected for a while.

I am also slightly torn as to whether I may need to ask about laptops, too, but that’s just due to a major family medical emergency that required me to travel back and forth between states.  I ended up having to borrow another family member’s laptop in order to keep people updated on the situation.  Despite that concern, I have a preference for desktops since I have a printer, and external hard drive to hook up to it. 

So while I am completely uncertain when it comes to laptops, I would be grateful for recommendations of any that might fit my needs, too.  I’d probably just need what I previously mentioned, as well as an hdmi port, and the regular usb ports.  Same budget.

I don’t know much about the technical workings of computers, aside from what I’ve managed to learn in regards to mine.  So any advice on what make or model for a pre-built desktop or laptop that would fit my needs best would be fantastic and be greatly appreciated.  I have only ever had desktops. 

Edited by Discordant_Note, 17 September 2017 - 01:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 18 September 2017 - 01:42 AM

In case you want desktop, I assume you don't want to build computer yourself? If so, I need to know where you live (what country) because that matters when buying prebuilt system. Even better if you can name some shops near you or shops you can order computer.

#3 Discordant_Note

Discordant_Note
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:00 AM

In case you want desktop, I assume you don't want to build computer yourself? If so, I need to know where you live (what country) because that matters when buying prebuilt system. Even better if you can name some shops near you or shops you can order computer.

That is correct, I prefer pre-built.

I mentioned that I live in Western Kentucky, which is in the United States.  I did list places where I could order a computer online.  That list included Best Buy, Amazon, Wal-Mart, QVC, Newegg and Tiger Direct. 

Best Buy is one where I can also physically go to the store, along with Wal-Mart.  Other places I can go to physically, include: Connecting Point (which doesn't list their actual in stock computers online, so I would go look around for whatever I'm suggested), Office Depot, K-Mart, and Sam's Club.  For the list of online places, I just remembered that I should also add Target (which isn't local, but I could use them) and HSN.

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,093 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:37 AM

I don't think any of those offer any customization. Can you buy from shops like Ibuypower, OriginPC or CyberPowerPC that allow select parts for computer. Without selection, there are always some crap or overpriced parts.

If not, then I just have to select "best" pre-built from one of those shops without customization.

#5 Discordant_Note

Discordant_Note
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:54 AM

I don't think any of those offer any customization. Can you buy from shops like Ibuypower, OriginPC or CyberPowerPC that allow select parts for computer. Without selection, there are always some crap or overpriced parts.

If not, then I just have to select "best" pre-built from one of those shops without customization.

I'm fine without any major customizations, as I don't know much of anything about selecting parts, or what would be good or not.  I had never heard of those last two shops before, and have only heard Ibuypower in passing in the last few days.  I don't know anything about the companies, but if you thought a particular model seemed well-suited, I would check them out.

So long as it's something that can handle what I posted earlier, I'm good with best pre-builts, or whatever seems best suited.

Edited by Discordant_Note, 18 September 2017 - 10:57 AM.

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,093 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:18 AM

From ibuypower http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/AMD-Ryzen-3-Configurator/W/414519

Windows 7 is not widely available anymore.

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:08 PM

$800 should be more than enough for a machine for you.

For the portability, get yourself a tablet for less than $100.  A tablet will allow you to e-mail, Facebook, or whatever else you need.

Windows 7 really limits your options.  Here are some options from New Egg.  Windows 7 will mainly get you a business machine, which most of those are.  The HP machines have a three year warranty, and I believe that is on site.

#8 Discordant_Note

Discordant_Note
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:44 PM

From ibuypower http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/AMD-Ryzen-3-Configurator/W/414519

Windows 7 is not widely available anymore.

That particular customization also seems to be for those into VR gaming, which I’m not.  Thank you for the suggestion anyway.   So perhaps from here on out, at least I know that the ones billed as customized with LED lights aren’t really suited for what I’m looking for. 

I understand Windows 7 isn’t as widely available anymore.  So long as the pre-builts either do have it, or are able to let me install the OEM I purchased in the last few days, and are known for being reliable, that’s really all I need.

#9 Discordant_Note

Discordant_Note
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:54 PM

$800 should be more than enough for a machine for you.

For the portability, get yourself a tablet for less than $100.  A tablet will allow you to e-mail, Facebook, or whatever else you need.

Windows 7 really limits your options.  Here are some options from New Egg.  Windows 7 will mainly get you a business machine, which most of those are.  The HP machines have a three year warranty, and I believe that is on site.

For me, really--if given an option between tablets and laptops, I'd pick a laptop.  I tested a tablet once, and it just wasn't right for me.  The laptop worked best.

Do you know if HP is as reliable when it comes to computers as they once were (back in the era my old one comes from)?  Because I tend to steer clear of their printers these days.  My first with them was fantastic, and lasted about 15 years.  The ones after that from HP have all died quickly (less than a year) due to mechanical issues, even when they weren't made to do that much printing.

I understand that.  I can still do searching as best I can around here, once I've got a list of good brands to check on.  And if I'm able to downgrade from a later version to a 7 with the OEM I purchased, so much the better.

#10 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,093 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 01:46 PM

That particular customization also seems to be for those into VR gaming, which I’m not.  Thank you for the suggestion anyway.   So perhaps from here on out, at least I know that the ones billed as customized with LED lights aren’t really suited for what I’m looking for. 

I understand Windows 7 isn’t as widely available anymore.  So long as the pre-builts either do have it, or are able to let me install the OEM I purchased in the last few days, and are known for being reliable, that’s really all I need.

VR gaming? What???

That site does not really offer "normal" cases for some reason. I could build from another site that has more case options if you want.

This looks better to me http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1K0JXA

Edited by hamluis, 21 September 2017 - 12:00 PM.

#11 Discordant_Note

Discordant_Note
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 02:04 PM

Oh, no, I think we are both misunderstanding each other.  I didn't realize you were offering to build something.  I don't need you to build me anything custom at all, but thank you.  I'm not asking for customized.  I wouldn't know where to start, and prefer not to go down that road at this point in time.  Once I have recommendations, I'll simply go out and buy whatever brand of desktop that's already been made, with 7 already installed or just capable of downgrading, and is being sold at Wal-Mart, Best Buy, or anywhere else I listed. 

Edited by hamluis, 21 September 2017 - 12:01 PM.

#12 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,093 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2017 - 07:42 AM

That Windows 7 requirements makes it very difficult to recommend any proper computers as almost every pre-built with non-obsolete parts are equipped with Windows 7. So if you cannot get that Windows 7 separately, there are only bad choices available.

#13 Discordant_Note

Discordant_Note
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2017 - 01:38 PM

If absolutely nothing could be found anywhere of Windows 7, then I could compromise and try to expand my search to include Windows 8/8.1.  If there was no other way, then dual booting with 10 and 7, if possible.  However, I’ve looked around and found a few things that aren’t refurbished at Best Buy and elsewhere, at least.  And they do have Windows 7 on its own on several computers, I discovered.  I just don't know what would be good.

Would anyone recommend the brands of Acer or ASUS for either laptops or desktop pre-builts?   I ask, as I’ve never used either brand before, don't know of anyone that would have, and know nothing as to their reliability.  What about the HP Pavilion (either desktop or laptop) or the HP Elite Desk 800 G3?  Are they good?  I finally found one with an optical drive when it comes to the HP Elite Desk, but I have never encountered that particular style of desktop before.

Edited by Discordant_Note, 19 September 2017 - 01:39 PM.

#14 LeeFitzsimmons

LeeFitzsimmons

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2017 - 06:21 AM

Discordant_Note,

Would anyone recommend the brands of Acer or ASUS for either laptops or desktop pre-builts?   

I own an Acer TC-605

here are the specs...

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/KH/content/model/DT.SRQST.039

I have been using this pre-built desktop for several years and have no complaints. It is fast and reliable.

I bought it at a local brick and mortar facility, and the price was within the range you specified.

I hope this helps... :-)

Lee

Edited by LeeFitzsimmons, 20 September 2017 - 06:22 AM.

#15 Discordant_Note

Discordant_Note
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2017 - 06:30 AM

Thank you!  Yes, that certainly does help!

Edited by hamluis, 21 September 2017 - 12:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users