Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boots to blank screen with cursor after starting windows

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bikemad

Bikemad

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 17 September 2017 - 01:43 PM

Hi,

I'm trying to sort a relatives laptop (compaq cq60, running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit) but I cannot get it to boot up past the blank screen that appears just after the "Starting Windows".

I can move the cursor, but keyboard and mouse buttons have no effect whatsoever.

Unfortunately the Last Known Good Configuration from the F8 menu didn't work and no system restore points have been created (and it will not boot into any of the safe/debugging modes).

Disk and memory checks out fine, and the laptop worked correctly with a cloned copy of the original disk on another hard drive, but only after I eventually gave up and tried the factory restore option.

I am hoping to repair the original installation so that it will boot into windows again as it used to do rather than having to reinstall all the programs, documents, emails and user settings etc.

I have tried everything I can think of, but I am unable to perform an upgrade repair of the same operating system and preserve all data and settings (as I have done on other PCs) because the upgrade can only be done from within the original windows operating system, which this laptop simply refuses to load to a usable state.

Startup Repair currently indicates that "the OS booted successfully", but it still won't get past the blank screen when I try to start windows normally.

I have basically run out of ideas, so I'm open to any suggestions that may help me to recover the existing installation (if possible).

I would greatly appreciate any assistance or advice that can be given,

Alan

EDIT:

I forgot to mention that I have also scanned the original drive (connected as an external USB drive on another PC) with Avast and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, and neither found any problems.

Edited by Bikemad, 17 September 2017 - 03:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bikemad

Bikemad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 18 September 2017 - 07:07 AM

Problem Now Solved

And here's how I managed to do it:

I mounted the hard drive in an external USB drive and then plugged it into another Windows 7 PC.

I used Disk management to make the Windows partition active (on the USB drive).

I was then able to open a command window (Run as Administrator) and the performed a system file check (sfc /scannow) on the USB drive (which I was unable to do via the Windows repair option on the original laptop).

I refitted the drive back into the laptop and rebooted using the ESC key to access the  F11 System Recovery option and selected the "Computer Checkup" option, followed by "Launch Check Disk for the Windows Partition".

When it had completed, I rebooted normally into Windows and the Desktop has finally appeared. 

I am currently making a backup image of the Windows partition while it is working (just in case it suffers from the same problem again) and then I will investigate why there were no system restore points available.

Hopefully, this information will be useful to others suffering with the same "unresponsive blank screen with cursor" problem.

Alan

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 18 September 2017 - 02:05 PM

Thanks for posting your resolution...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users