Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer inevitably crashes with display adapter enabled.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TheBlueScreen

TheBlueScreen

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 17 September 2017 - 12:44 PM

Something that I have been meaning to get an answer to. Somewhere down the line, my PC started to crash seemingly randomly. I soon found out that if I disable my Display Adapter (AMD Radeon HD 5670) in Device Manager that the problem was solved. The PC has worked pretty well since, although I haven't tried any games, but videos etc work fine and I have gone like this disabling (PC automatically often enables it) my display adapter for about a year now.

What I'm trying to say is that I am curious as to what the issue is. My googling skills are poor so I thought I could ask.

Edited by TheBlueScreen, 17 September 2017 - 12:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 17 September 2017 - 01:16 PM

Hi,

I suppose that happens on a Laptop machine?

Some laptops have two graphic cards from Intel and AMD, in some cases when the AMD card is damaged due to heat or something else the machine can work using the Intel card if the AMD card is disabled.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 TheBlueScreen

TheBlueScreen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2017 - 04:10 PM

Thanks for the reply.

To answer, no, it is a desktop.

Edited by TheBlueScreen, 17 September 2017 - 04:11 PM.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 17 September 2017 - 05:23 PM

Can the problematic video adapter be replaced?

Edited by RolandJS, 17 September 2017 - 05:24 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,102 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2017 - 05:39 PM

Help us to help you, please give a Speccy report. speccy is a free download from BC -

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/

Download, install and run it. When it has finished analysing copy the URL it supplies and paste it into your next post. Here are two images to show how to get the URL -

speccy-log-image-1.jpg

speccy-log-image-2.jpg

Just post the URL, it is the most readable way of getting the report.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 TheBlueScreen

TheBlueScreen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 08:52 AM

Wow, this is much appreciated fellas, might get to the bottom of this.

-Roland

If you mean the video card? Yes, I haven't gotten around to it, and honestly would rather avoid that, if possible. If you mean to ask if I have more than one device under display adapter, no.

-Chris

The link you asked for:

(Display Adapter Disabled) http://speccy.piriform.com/results/AHOGQUPvsIIjMySjXK4YYAq

(Display Adapter Enabled) http://speccy.piriform.com/results/30dOpr2QpTTvzJ1AqPKtFyV

Edited by TheBlueScreen, 18 September 2017 - 09:15 AM.

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,102 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2017 - 05:41 PM

Looking at your two Speccy reports, the one with your video card - the HD5670 - enabled, shows that mobo and HD temps are up 1oC and the card itself is showing a temperature of 81oC when it is active.

I feel that this 81C is too high but I cannot find any spec listed on operating temperature, so it is only a feeling. However excessive heat is known to cause effects like this as a safety feature It would be worth your while to pull this card out and certainly clean the fan. If it appears to be dusty and choked up with whatever then at a minimum you will need to blow out the airways on the heatsink. It might even be worth taking the heatsink assembly off and replacing the thermal compound between it and the processor chips. This is a slightly more drastic operation and should only be attempted if it seems to be reasonably straightforward. If you search on YouTube you may well find a video on how to do this.

Chris Cosgrove

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 20 September 2017 - 06:41 PM

You can also add another box fan inside the chassis, I did to my desktop some time ago, and although noisy, it sure ran cooler!

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users