Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Repeating processes in task manager under processes and start up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 axemblack

axemblack

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 17 September 2017 - 05:50 AM

I was trying to fix an audio issue by updating Realtek audio manager drivers. My sound does not work now and when I try to do anything in the Realtek audio manager it does not work. The manager freezes, and I have to restart the computer to get it back but it will freeze again when I try to do anything. I noticed that when I open the task manager, I see multiple instances of processes that I did not before. 2 instances of firefox, 5 instances of twitch, 3 instances of spotify. When I look at the start up tab, these programs have 5 instances of them along with realtek having some things under it that I'm not sure are normal. I've noticed spotify and firefox being more sluggish as well.

This is Windows 10 64-bit. Would love to know why it's not working and how I can get my programs to run the usual number of instances. I know that certain programs to have multiple processes, sometimes the same name and sometimes different (spotify web helper for example). But I'm pretty sure there are not supposed to be 5 instances

Edit - Just checked after restarting a few times, spotify went from 5 start up processes to 6..

Attached Files

Edited by axemblack, 17 September 2017 - 06:00 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 17 September 2017 - 08:16 AM

Start your computer into safe mode with networking. Uninstall and delete your current audio drivers. Download and install the new drivers from the official Realtek website. Restart your computer. Is everything okay now? Do you have sound? If you have sound, good. If everything works fine, great! If you still have problems, try downloading, installing and running Malwarebytes, Avast (or any anti-virus by your choice if you don't have any) and AdwCleaner. Then, on your keyboard press the Windows key + R simultaneously. Then, type Cleanmgr. Then, press Enter. Then, press OK. Then, wait for the clean-up to finish. Then, restart your computer. Is the task manager problem gone? Are there any other issues? Good luck!:)

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 17 September 2017 - 09:45 AM

Try doing a System Restore, you will want to use a restore point dated prior to this problem.

Press the Windows key windows-key.png  and the R key to open the Run box.

When the Run box opens copy and paste rstrui.exe in the search box, then click/tap on OK.

When System Restore opens click/tap on Next.

In the page that opens there will be a box in the lower left portion of the page for Show more restore points.  Place a check in this  box, then select a date prior to the start of the problem.  Next will now be accessible, click/tap on it to continue.  Follow the direction to complete the restore.

Follow the instructions that appear.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 axemblack

axemblack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2017 - 07:01 PM

I did the system restore. I have sound now, but I still have the problem with the multiple processes in the task manager.

ec08dffd30ecefa8de5d5df7cd03ec14.pngc651ed28f9887e8c23bb65c776a0bd5a.png

Edited by axemblack, 17 September 2017 - 07:03 PM.

#5 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 17 September 2017 - 07:04 PM

That's not a problem, that's just how it's supposed to be, I think.:)

#6 axemblack

axemblack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2017 - 07:11 PM

Alright, the slow down is gone. If that's how it is that's how it is, but I've seen the spotify go from 5 initial processes on startup to 6, so I was a little confused

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users