Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

usb backups vs cd backups

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rickh2

rickh2

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 17 September 2017 - 05:46 AM

For example windows 10. Is it more secure to obtain a CD based backup cd or a USB based backup CD as you can probably buy both currently. The thing I'm afraid of, is that the usb data is easily alterable... or is it not? I have huawei modem with some files that I can't modify, but is it a hardware feature of the given usb stick or thats just a simple software trick that can be easily broken by a potential "hacker" or malware?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Umbra

Umbra

Authorized Emsisoft Rep

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 17 September 2017 - 06:33 AM

Hello, 

Do you mean a media containing the OS installer provided by your computer manufacturer  (OS + drivers+ applications)? or just a media containing Windows 10 and provided by Microsoft?

Theoretically, a CD is safer since it is written once, but an usb is more practical and unless you are targeted (someone stealing, altering and then putting back the usb in your pocket without you noticing it; very extreme situation... ), i prefer the USB , faster and more reliable.

Emsisoft Community Manager

#3 rickh2

rickh2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 17 September 2017 - 08:56 AM

Yes I'm not sure if microsoft backup usb sticks are write-protected. Although what I am assuming is that the attacker had no physical access to the stick (for a 90-95%) but might have through a for example RAT software

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 17 September 2017 - 11:47 AM

Well, if you want a USB-based media that doesn't involve an external platter HDD or SSD that you can definitely write protect then you should take a look at SD media.  Whether conventional SD (which has a lock slider right on the card) or microSD (which has the same slider on the SD adapter, but not the microSD card itself) you can prevent write access at will.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users