Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Global policy vs Local Policy

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Svmaxcel

Svmaxcel

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2017 - 05:23 AM

Hi, I am working in a corporate.
We have a network with several system.
Recently there were some changes in system and all systems were formatted with win 7 pro.
Now when I login to any system, my theme is changed to Windows classic with everything in grey.
Lock Taskbar, Task manager is greyed out.
All icons are combined.
Command prompt, notepad, paint and many other softwares are removed except ms word,excel,access,Outlook,PowerPoint and IE

Issue 1
We have to open several windows at once, now because I cannot extend taskbar to double row.

Issue 2
All icons are combined. So I have to click on icon and then select the respective file.

Issue 3
Cannot change to Aero theme.

I spoke with Global IT team and they said they cannot change restrictions, however I can speak with Company Local IT to make registry modifications.

I spoke with IT guy and he is ready to make changes on my dedicated system as he has admin rights.

I want to know what all things needs to be changed in order to resolve the above mentioned issues.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 17 September 2017 - 06:40 AM

Sounds like a totally internal situation to me...the IT department has total authority and control over what is implemented, allowed, used on their intranet/internet capabilities.

I'm not sure what information you are seeking with this topic.

Louis

#3 Svmaxcel

Svmaxcel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2017 - 09:33 AM

Need help to know about the resolution of the issue mentioned above
Which setting should be changed in registry or Local group policy to make changes.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,857 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2017 - 10:04 AM

Those things are your IT personnel to decide and enact, if they so choose.

Louis

#5 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 17 September 2017 - 12:54 PM

A few things to bear in mind:

If these are being set by Group Policy, the GP settings may override any registry changes and revert them back to the old settings. Same goes for local policy -- group policy always overrides local policy settings.

In other words, your options may be limited here.

#6 Svmaxcel

Svmaxcel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2017 - 01:14 PM

Any other option to resolve it
Also if the admin user changes theme in his user account, will it make difference for my account
Can we tweak group policy editor

#7 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 17 September 2017 - 01:44 PM

If the admin user changes theme in his user account, will it make difference for my account

No, that won't. Group Policy overrides all local settings, including settings made by the administrator account.

Can we tweak group policy editor

You can't. Those who have access to company group policy settings can. You'd have to ask them if they are willing to do that. But that tends to defeat the purpose of group policy -- you start making exceptions for this and that user, and then the settings on various computers are all over the map.

#8 Svmaxcel

Svmaxcel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2017 - 02:05 PM

OK, so there is no alternative till the time.
GP removes the rules

#9 Svmaxcel

Svmaxcel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2017 - 04:17 PM

I want to try to make changes using registry and local group policy
Can you guide me with the steps so thatvi can ask my it guy to do so

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,857 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2017 - 05:22 PM

No, I don't think so.

Excerpt from BC Forum Rules:  "No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences."

The use of group policy is certainly an authorized, valid method for any organization to control the use of its network connectivity structure.  If the organization implements group policies which you don't like...as I see it, your only recourse is to communicate with the IT personnel responsible for implementing and executing those designated policies.

No one here can tell you how to get around or modify such...since the personnel here have no affiliation with the orgranization and are not part of the structure established for organization control and security of assets.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users